Posted to user@shiro.apache.org by jcalcote <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/09 22:53:38 UTC

Using Shiro as JAAS LoginModule

Does Shiro support JAAS as a LoginModule? I'm trying to secure a JMX
application with Shiro and can't figure out where to start. Is there already
a Shiro LoginModule somewhere or do I have to write my own? Am I even taking
the right approach or is there a better way?

Clearly a JAAS LoginModule can be used to log in a remote accessor using
Shiro, but once logged in, how can Shiro be used for access control?

Thanks,
John

Re: Using Shiro as JAAS LoginModule

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I am also interested in this feature.

We are currently discussing to standardize on JAAS login in CXF. So in
some scenarios CXF would do the authentication part and establish a JAAS
context that can be retrieved using AccessControler.
Is it possible to configure shiro to tap into an an existing JAAS
context and set itself up from it. So it can later do the authorization?

I think this feature could help in many ways, CXF and JMX only being two
of them.

Some more infos about the ideas in cxf are here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=42568988

Christian

On 09.07.2014 22:53, jcalcote wrote:
> Does Shiro support JAAS as a LoginModule? I'm trying to secure a JMX
> application with Shiro and can't figure out where to start. Is there already
> a Shiro LoginModule somewhere or do I have to write my own? Am I even taking
> the right approach or is there a better way?
>
> Clearly a JAAS LoginModule can be used to log in a remote accessor using
> Shiro, but once logged in, how can Shiro be used for access control?
>
> Thanks,
> John

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de