Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org> on 2015/04/28 19:16:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] Rolling Upgrade 0.98 -> 1.1

We're pretty late in the game to bring this up, but I want to make sure
we're all on the same page. I believe we want to support rolling upgrades
as there have been blocker tickets opened against the release to this
effect. The two things I'm aware of that cause problems here are table
state in meta (HBASE-13017) and distributed log replay (HBASE-12577). Are
there any others we should be aware of? When I search for "Hadoop Flags:
Incompatible change" [0] I do get a couple hits, but I don't think this
flag is well socialized.

Given the resolution outlined for table states, I'm prone to punt this one
to 1.2.

For DLR, we have HBASE-12743 opened without clear progress. Devaraj also
mentioned to me that he's been tracking troubles around this feature his
test runs. Unless someone wants to crack this nut today or tomorrow, I
think we should toggle it off. HBASE-13584.

Other items?

Thanks,
Nick

[0]:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20HBASE%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.1.0%20AND%20%22Hadoop%20Flags%22%20%3D%20%22Incompatible%20change%22

Re: [DISCUSS] Rolling Upgrade 0.98 -> 1.1

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
It's safe to say that all 1.x releases should be rolling upgradable from
0.98. Thanks for clarifying.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 10:16 AM, Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org> wrote:

> We're pretty late in the game to bring this up, but I want to make sure
> we're all on the same page. I believe we want to support rolling upgrades
> as there have been blocker tickets opened against the release to this
> effect. The two things I'm aware of that cause problems here are table
> state in meta (HBASE-13017) and distributed log replay (HBASE-12577). Are
> there any others we should be aware of? When I search for "Hadoop Flags:
> Incompatible change" [0] I do get a couple hits, but I don't think this
> flag is well socialized.
>
> Given the resolution outlined for table states, I'm prone to punt this one
> to 1.2.
>
> For DLR, we have HBASE-12743 opened without clear progress. Devaraj also
> mentioned to me that he's been tracking troubles around this feature his
> test runs. Unless someone wants to crack this nut today or tomorrow, I
> think we should toggle it off. HBASE-13584.
>
> Let me substitute HBASE-13567 for HBASE-12743 (since resolved for
HBASE-13567). I own it. Not sure I will have a fix by tomorrow.
St.Ack