Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by samir shaikh <aq...@yahoo.com> on 2007/12/20 00:22:57 UTC

[Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Hi,

I'm trying to get SIP to be the transport layer for my
Axis2 server. Does anyone know where I can find
examples of that and if that is possible to do.

Thank you.!

Samir

Fwd: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Sorry! I said I'd move the conversation to axis-dev and then blindly
replied to an old note.

Paul

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Sorry! I said I'd move the conversation to axis-dev and then blindly
replied to an old note.

Paul

We do not have a SIP transport for SOAP in Axis2. However, if you
would be willing to help write one we would be very happy to help.
>From my knowledge of SIP it would make a good transport and has some
benefits over HTTP. If you want to see how Axis2 transports are
written, you might actually start here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/synapse/trunk/java/modules/transports/src/main/java

We have written a few new transports for Axis2 under the Synapse
project and there are some base classes to help you.

Of course there are also the core Axis2 transports:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/trunk/java/modules/kernel/src/org/apache/axis2/transport

If you want to collaborate I will certainly help.

Paul

On Dec 19, 2007 11:22 PM, samir shaikh <aq...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get SIP to be the transport layer for my
> Axis2 server. Does anyone know where I can find
> examples of that and if that is possible to do.
>
> Thank you.!
>
> Samir

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Good Morning Michele-

I was able to create ClickToDial.war but as soon as I execute SIPFactory I
see exceptions
http://fisheye5.cenqua.com/browse/sailfin/ssa-api/src/java/javax/servlet/sip
/SipFactory.java is down for maintenance
Any idea where to acquire the source?

Thanks!
Martin--
Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the hint. Its an interesting project, but I can't see any
instructions for using it without Glassfish. I guess for Axis2 we need
something more embeddable.

Paul

On Dec 22, 2007 1:16 PM, Michele Mazzucco <Mi...@ncl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 22 Dec 2007, at 07:53, Paul Fremantle wrote:
>
> > Basically, yes we need a reference impl of the SIPServlet spec
> > (assuming that it has a valid license), and we also need a client SIP
> > stack too.
>
> You may want to have a look to this
> https://sailfin.dev.java.net/
>

> Michele

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Posted by Michele Mazzucco <Mi...@ncl.ac.uk>.

Re: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Samir

I'm back :)

I think before we write any code I'd like to understand what use cases
you have in mind. Having done some research, I see that the SOAP/SIP
discussion is all about 3 years old, and there are no other
implementations. So the question I want to ask is - what about XMPP
instead? It seems to me that XMPP/Jabber has many of the same benefits
and there is a lot more work already done on SOAP/XMPP.

However, if there are good use cases, etc for SOAP/SIP that aren't
covered by XMPP then I will certainly be willing to work on it.

Best,
Paul

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Posted by samir shaikh <aq...@yahoo.com>.
Paul,

> [...]

> seems to me to have
> two key benefits.
>
> 1) We could probably start from the NHTTP transport
> and therefore
> re-use a lot of code
> 2) We'd end up with a non-blocking SIP transport
> which is a "good
> thing" (more efficient)
>
> Also the folks over at HTTPCore are incredibly
> helpful.
>
> Paul
>

> On Dec 23, 2007 4:58 AM, Demetris G
> <de...@ece.neu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Likewise Paul - thanks for the pointer.
> >

> > Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > > Good point!
> > >
> > > SIP is basically the standard for doing Voice
> Over Internet Protocol
> > > (VOIP) that is used by systems like Vonage,
> Asterisk, etc to provide
> > > phoning on the internet.
> > >
> > > Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!

=== message truncated ===

Re: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Samir

One more thing we should look at. It seems like the HTTP code we use
for non-blocking (HTTPCore) already also has some limited support for
SIP!

This would mean we would have to code directly to that API (i.e. we
wouldn't use the SIP Servlet model). However, this seems to me to have
two key benefits.

1) We could probably start from the NHTTP transport and therefore
re-use a lot of code
2) We'd end up with a non-blocking SIP transport which is a "good
thing" (more efficient)

Also the folks over at HTTPCore are incredibly helpful.

Paul

On Dec 23, 2007 4:58 AM, Demetris G <de...@ece.neu.edu> wrote:

> Likewise Paul - thanks for the pointer.
>

> Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > Good point!
> >
> > SIP is basically the standard for doing Voice Over Internet Protocol
> > (VOIP) that is used by systems like Vonage, Asterisk, etc to provide
> > phoning on the internet.
> >
> > Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > On Dec 22, 2007 8:29 AM, Demetris G <de...@ece.neu.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> Echoing Paul's "I didn't know anything about coding SIP in Java" and further
> >> seeing these terms flying around this list for a long time now, wouldn't
> >> be so
> >> much nicer for the rest of us who are willing to learn, for whoever is
> >> asking
> >> a Q out of the list to also spend 3.5 secs to write down a definition of the
> >> term they are requesting help with? I hear POJO, MOJO, GOJO, blah blah
> >> and MTOM and this and that and now SIP ... oh sure, everything is just
> >> a google away but putting it in the context of the list educates all of
> >> us. Just
> >> a friendly suggestion ...
> >>
> >> SIP - away my friends ...

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: byte[] problem with a class

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
good call

The handling of binary by DataHandler is explained in the MTOM doc..
http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_2/mtom-guide.html#24

M--
Posted by "Hoda, Nadeem [USA]" <ho...@bah.com>.

Thanks Thilina.

________________________________

Re: byte[] problem with a class

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

byte[] problem with a class

Re: [Axis2] Standalone

Posted by Demetris G <de...@ece.neu.edu>.
Excellent - thanks very much for this good info Paul.

Re: [Axis2] Standalone

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Demetris

Partly this is historical... Axis1 originally had a single-threaded
server built in for test purposes, which was not production ready.
The SimpleHTTPServer that is built into Axis2 is much more robust and
reasonable performant. In my understanding it is "good enough" for
production usage, though perhaps not for really hard-core heavy-duty
requirements. Its also very useful if you want to embed in an existing
application (public void main()).

However, Tomcat is definitely faster, so if performance is an issue,
I'd go for Tomcat. Also Tomcat has a lot more resources on scaling,
tuning, plus the native IO handlers etc.

There is a third option which is the NIO HTTP transport that
originated in Synapse. This is very efficient and scales to very large
numbers of concurrent connections (>1000), and has been production
tested in the Synapse community with very good results.

Paul

On Dec 23, 2007 6:26 AM, Demetris G <de...@ece.neu.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>     there was a discussion once whether Axis2 should be run standalone
> for production software - or something of this nature. I know Axis2 can
> be a web services container (standalone) and can also be executed from
> within a servlet container. Can someone please shed some light on this
> again? Was it the use of the HTTP server?
>
> Thanks much

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

[Axis2] Standalone

Re: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Posted by Demetris G <de...@ece.neu.edu>.

Re: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Good point!

SIP is basically the standard for doing Voice Over Internet Protocol
(VOIP) that is used by systems like Vonage, Asterisk, etc to provide
phoning on the internet.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!

Paul

On Dec 22, 2007 8:29 AM, Demetris G <de...@ece.neu.edu> wrote:

> Echoing Paul's "I didn't know anything about coding SIP in Java" and further
> seeing these terms flying around this list for a long time now, wouldn't
> be so
> much nicer for the rest of us who are willing to learn, for whoever is
> asking
> a Q out of the list to also spend 3.5 secs to write down a definition of the
> term they are requesting help with? I hear POJO, MOJO, GOJO, blah blah
> and MTOM and this and that and now SIP ... oh sure, everything is just
> a google away but putting it in the context of the list educates all of
> us. Just
> a friendly suggestion ...
>
> SIP - away my friends ...
>

> Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > Samir
> >
> > Ok so I didn't know anything about coding SIP in Java :)
> >
> > Basically, yes we need a reference impl of the SIPServlet spec
> > (assuming that it has a valid license), and we also need a client SIP
> > stack too.
> >
> > It seems like this is what we need: https://jain-sip.dev.java.net/ tho
> > I can't find out what license that is under.
> >
> > Also I found an interesting alternative to the SIP Servlet which is the JIPlet:
> > http://www.cafesip.org/projects/jiplet/index.html
> >
> > However, I'm not sure its really worth using JIPlet over the SIP
> > servlet. What are your thoughts?
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > PS. In HTTP the equivalent is the servlet plus the Commons HTTPClient.
> > However, the newer non-blocking HTTP is based on an Apache library
> > called HTTPCore which provides a non-blocking IO version of HTTP.
> >

> > On Dec 22, 2007 1:08 AM, samir shaikh <aq...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Paul,
> >>
> >> What do you mean by base SIP function? Do you mean we
> >> need some reference implementation of the sipservlet
> >> specification? can you tell me what it is for http so
> >> then i can understand what we are looking for here.
> >>

> >> Samir

> >> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/synapse/trunk/java/modules/transports/src/main/java

> >> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/trunk/java/modules/kernel/src/org/apache/axis2/transport

> >> ____________________________________________________________________________________

> >> http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

> >> ____________________________________________________________________________________

> >> http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Posted by Demetris G <de...@ece.neu.edu>.

Fwd: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Samir

Time to move this discussion to axis-dev!

Paul

> [...]

> > > Samir

> > Axis2.
> > very
> > > >

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/synapse/trunk/java/modules/transports/src/main/java

> > under
> > you.

> > transports:
> > > >

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/trunk/java/modules/kernel/src/org/apache/axis2/transport

> > help.

> > layer
> > find
> > do.

> > www.wso2.com

> > > Be a better friend, newshound, and
> > > know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.

> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > axis-user-help@ws.apache.org
> > >

> > --
> > Paul Fremantle
> > Co-Founder and VP of Technical Sales, WSO2

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Samir

> [...]

> > > Samir

> > Axis2.
> > very
> > > >

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/synapse/trunk/java/modules/transports/src/main/java

> > under
> > you.

> > transports:
> > > >

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/trunk/java/modules/kernel/src/org/apache/axis2/transport

> > help.

> > layer
> > find
> > do.

> > www.wso2.com

> > > Be a better friend, newshound, and
> > > know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.

> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > axis-user-help@ws.apache.org
> > >

> > --
> > Paul Fremantle
> > Co-Founder and VP of Technical Sales, WSO2

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Posted by samir shaikh <aq...@yahoo.com>.
Paul,

Re: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Samir

The usual first step is to identify a library that can be used to
provide the base SIP function. Also the library needs to be compatible
with Apache Licensing - i.e. it must be Open Source and also not GPL
(but LPGL is ok). Obviously if we can find one under the Apache or BSD
license that is best.

Paul

On Dec 21, 2007 12:14 AM, samir shaikh <aq...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Paul,
>
> I'll be happy to team up with you on this. If you
> could lay out for me what is involved that will be
> great. We could have something based off of the
> sipservlet specification. Meanwhile, I can also
> research the existing transports as part of synapse.
>
> Samir
>

> --- Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Samir
> >
> > We do not have a SIP transport for SOAP in Axis2.
> > However, if you
> > would be willing to help write one we would be very
> > happy to help.
> > From my knowledge of SIP it would make a good
> > transport and has some
> > benefits over HTTP. If you want to see how Axis2
> > transports are
> > written, you might actually start here:
> >

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/synapse/trunk/java/modules/transports/src/main/java
> >
> > We have written a few new transports for Axis2 under
> > the Synapse
> > project and there are some base classes to help you.
> >
> > Of course there are also the core Axis2 transports:
> >
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/trunk/java/modules/kernel/src/org/apache/axis2/transport
> >
> > If you want to collaborate I will certainly help.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > On Dec 19, 2007 11:22 PM, samir shaikh
> > <aq...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to get SIP to be the transport layer
> > for my
> > > Axis2 server. Does anyone know where I can find
> > > examples of that and if that is possible to do.
> > >
> > > Thank you.!
> > >
> > > Samir

> > > Be a better friend, newshound, and
> > > know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.

> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > axis-user-help@ws.apache.org
> > >

> > --
> > Paul Fremantle
> > Co-Founder and VP of Technical Sales, WSO2
> > OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair
> >
> > blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
> > paul@wso2.com

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > axis-user-help@ws.apache.org

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Posted by samir shaikh <aq...@yahoo.com>.
Paul,

Re: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Samir

We do not have a SIP transport for SOAP in Axis2. However, if you
would be willing to help write one we would be very happy to help.
>From my knowledge of SIP it would make a good transport and has some
benefits over HTTP. If you want to see how Axis2 transports are
written, you might actually start here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/synapse/trunk/java/modules/transports/src/main/java

We have written a few new transports for Axis2 under the Synapse
project and there are some base classes to help you.

Of course there are also the core Axis2 transports:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/trunk/java/modules/kernel/src/org/apache/axis2/transport

If you want to collaborate I will certainly help.

Paul

On Dec 19, 2007 11:22 PM, samir shaikh <aq...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get SIP to be the transport layer for my
> Axis2 server. Does anyone know where I can find
> examples of that and if that is possible to do.
>
> Thank you.!
>
> Samir

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP

Posted by Prince Singh <pr...@drishti-soft.com>.
Hi Martin,

SIP is "Session Initiation Protocol" and not "Serial Interface Protocol"

Google for "SIP"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol

SIP is primarily being used as a signalling protocol for VoIP telephony. Its
very flexible and quiet popular. As per the wiki, it was designed 10yrs
back(1996). :)

On 12/20/07, Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I havent heard the term SIP for over 10 years..I had no idea that anyone
> was
> still using it!
> Its easy to think that a true transport layer is being configured when you
> see something like this
> org.apache.axis2.context.ConfigurationContextFactory
>         //To check whether transport level session management is require
> or
> not
>         configureTransportSessionManagement(axisConfig);
>
> but this mechanism is for managing 'session management' when client
> *transports* from client to servlet
>
> SIP (Serial Interface Protocol is the actual OSI transport and is
> generally
> handled by the OS driver when TCP/IP stack is loaded..if Im not
> mistaken..)
>
> Anyone???
> Martin--

Prince Singh

Drishti-Soft Solutions Pvt Ltd
SCO-36, Sector 31
Gurgaon, INDIA-122001

P: 91 124 4085120
F: 91 124 4039120
W: http://www.drishti-soft.com

----
DISCLAIMER

This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally Privileged
information. In case you are not the original intended Recipient of the
message, you must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
print, or copy any part of this message and you are requested to delete it
and inform the sender.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender
unless otherwise stated. Nothing contained in this message shall be
construed as an offer or acceptance of any offer by Drishti-Soft Solutions
Pvt Ltd ("Drishti") unless sent with that express intent and with due
authority of Drishti.
Drishti has taken enough precautions to prevent the spread of viruses.
However the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this email.

Re: [Axis2] SOAP over SIP