Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2021/05/02 10:21:38 UTC

Passenger Telemetry - disable?

Passenger apps include remote telemetry, feeding back stats to a
central server. [1]
This was enabled by default in versions from 6.0.0 (Whimsy runs 6.0.5)

They say the stats are anonymised, however AFAICT traffic analysis
would show that a host was using Passenger.

Should the telemetry be disabled for Whimsy?

[1] https://www.phusionpassenger.com/docs/advanced_guides/in_depth/ruby/anonymous_telemetry_reporting.html

Re: Passenger Telemetry - disable?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 4 May 2021 at 17:35, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> sebb wrote on 5/2/21 6:21 AM:
> > Passenger apps include remote telemetry, feeding back stats to a
> > central server. [1]
> > This was enabled by default in versions from 6.0.0 (Whimsy runs 6.0.5)
> >
> > They say the stats are anonymised, however AFAICT traffic analysis
> > would show that a host was using Passenger.
> >
> > Should the telemetry be disabled for Whimsy?
> >
> > [1] https://www.phusionpassenger.com/docs/advanced_guides/in_depth/ruby/anonymous_telemetry_reporting.html
>
> Yes, unless we have a tool that needs this, we should turn it off.
>
> It would be helpful to:
>
> - Not do this the week before a board meeting
>
> - Ensure any commits around this clearly note what's happening, so in
> case something breaks later, we know exactly how to undo it.
>
> My only question would be if turning this off removes any of the
> debugging information in our error logs that we might have used to help
> fix things in the past.  I can't think of any cases I've done that tho.
>
> Thanks, sebb!

Done

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.