Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dudley Irish <di...@arsmagna.com> on 2003/05/01 22:23:08 UTC

NEWBIE: bean:message, can't find resource bundle

I am new to Tomcat and Struts and I suspect that this is a stupid
question, but I have been stuck for a week on it.

I am trying to build a simple sample app in order to resolve a problem
that I am having with finding resources.  This app is using a tag:

     <bean:message key="index.message"/>

to pull a message out of a resource file named
SampleResources.properties.  I specify the resource in the
struts-config.xml with the following:

  <message-resources
      parameter="SampleResources"/>

This file contains only the one resource "index.message".

When I run it I get the following exception:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Cannot find message resources under \
key org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE

I have searched the the archives and tried everything that I could
find in them with no luck.  I have put the resources in both WEB-INF
and WEB-INF/classes.  I have left the file out completely.  The error
message doesn't change.  I am now convinced that the problem is early
in the process and that there is some mistake in my configuration, but
the message-resources element seems correct.  I have turned on every
bit of logging that I know how and can't find a clue as to what to
check next.

I am running tomcat 4.1.24 and I have tried struts 1.1-rc1 and 1.0.2.
All running on Redhat Advanced Server.

I suspect that this is a newbie question, but is sure has me stumped.
If you can point me at the documentation or FAQ that will help me out
I would appreciate it.  Or if you can tell me how to turn on more
error checking (say validation in the XML parser) or more logging so
that I can at least get an error that might point me in the right
direction I would appreciate that.  At this point, I'll take anything.

Thanks in advance,

Dudley Irish