Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Schnitzer, Jeff" <JS...@maxis.com> on 2002/12/04 06:58:52 UTC

Memory usage?

This is probably a more general java question:

My long-running Tomcat processes become huge.  I have the max heap set
to -Xmx512m, yet after a day or so the virtual size of java reaches
upwards of 2GB, and the resident size sometimes exceeds 1GB.  Shouldn't
I get OutOfMemoryErrors sooner?  If it's not heap, what is in all that
extra space?

I'm pretty certain that I just need to reduce my session timeout (it's
way too long, and we get a _lot_ of traffic).  But the JVM behavior
surprises me.  This is with the Sun JDK 1.4.1_01 on Linux.

Thanks,
Jeff Schnitzer
jschnitzer@maxis.com
The Sims Online

RE: Memory usage?

Posted by mi...@elata.com.
you using JDBC?

Head of Operations AsiaPac
elata
Level 30
6 Battery Road
Singapore
049909
Office : +65 65509723
Mobile : +65 91117814
Fax    : +65 65509725
mike.roberts@elata.com
http://www.elata.com

This e-mail is intended solely for the above mentioned recipient(s) and it
may contain confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify us immediately and delete the e-mail from your system.
Copying, distribution or other use of the information contained in this
e-mail is strictly prohibited.  Nothing in this e-mail amounts to a
contractual commitment, or is otherwise legally binding on elata unless
confirmed by an authorised representative independently of this e-mail.
Registered in England, number 1961405

This is probably a more general java question:

My long-running Tomcat processes become huge.  I have the max heap set
to -Xmx512m, yet after a day or so the virtual size of java reaches
upwards of 2GB, and the resident size sometimes exceeds 1GB.  Shouldn't
I get OutOfMemoryErrors sooner?  If it's not heap, what is in all that
extra space?

I'm pretty certain that I just need to reduce my session timeout (it's
way too long, and we get a _lot_ of traffic).  But the JVM behavior
surprises me.  This is with the Sun JDK 1.4.1_01 on Linux.

Thanks,
Jeff Schnitzer
jschnitzer@maxis.com
The Sims Online