Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by "Tim Colson (tcolson)" <tc...@cisco.com> on 2005/02/23 06:51:45 UTC

RE: Velocity and JDBC

> Is it possible to use straight JDBC/SQL type of calls in
> Velocity directly for web page creation?
Sure thing. Just drop in a "tool" object that can make JDBC/SQL calls

> What would be the best approach to display DB results on page.
I'd check out Claude's project, Velosurf.
http://velosurf.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,
Timo

Re: Velocity and JDBC

Posted by Simon Christian <si...@stoutstick.com>.
Certainly it'll work in a Struts/Velocity setup - take a look at
Claude's example which uses VelocityTools, at:

   http://velosurf.sourceforge.net/velosurf/docs/index.html#example

The VelosurfTool is made available to the context along with other tools.

- simon

Re: Velocity and JDBC

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.
On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 16:52 +0200, Markos Charatzas wrote:
> Well ofcourse it depends on the scale of the application.

precisely, not necessarily

> If you want something quick and dirty you can do it with Velosurf no probs.

yes, you can - but even in large applications I'm not totally certain
that the choice of Hibernate is always pertinent (it depends if you
really need persistence or not). Hence, Velosurf can be a "clean"
choice.

> I was just trying to alert ppl who might jump straight to the Velosurf wagon
> to support their database driven application.

seems fair

Claude

Re: Velocity and JDBC

Posted by Markos Charatzas <xa...@forthnet.gr>.

Re: Velocity and JDBC

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@savoirweb.com>.

Re: Velocity and JDBC

Posted by Markos Charatzas <xa...@forthnet.gr>.
Hm...

Im quite skeptical about this...

Why not use a "proper" OR mapping tool (e.g. hibernate), provide a complete db
implementation (Database, DatabaseRequest, DatabaseClient) and then use a db
client wrapper to place as a tool using the velocity toolbox.

Regards,
Markos

Re: Velocity and JDBC

Posted by Manish <pr...@gmx.net>.