Posted to user@wookie.apache.org by Thomas Ullmann <to...@googlemail.com> on 2010/02/17 15:53:07 UTC

Screencast Widget tutorial

I created to screencast of how to build a widget and how to upload it
to the wookie server.
Both screencast are directed to users, who have never build a widget.

You can learn
- what files you need
- what content you can add
- how to build the widget
- how to run it on a wookie server

Take a look here:
http://people.kmi.open.ac.uk/ullmann/tutorials/wookie/widget.htm
and here:
http://people.kmi.open.ac.uk/ullmann/tutorials/wookie/widgetUploadWookie.htm

--

Best,

Thomas

Re: Screencast Widget tutorial

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 17 Feb 2010, at 14:53, Thomas Ullmann wrote:

> I created to screencast of how to build a widget and how to upload it
> to the wookie server.
> Both screencast are directed to users, who have never build a widget.
>
> You can learn
> - what files you need
> - what content you can add
> - how to build the widget
> - how to run it on a wookie server
>
> Take a look here:
> http://people.kmi.open.ac.uk/ullmann/tutorials/wookie/widget.htm
> and here:
> http://people.kmi.open.ac.uk/ullmann/tutorials/wookie/widgetUploadWookie.htm

The best way to test a new widget is to go to the View Widget Gallery
option from the front menu screen, and click "demo". Otherwise you
won't get the correct widget instance so things like
widget.preferences won't work. Otherwise, really nince :-)

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Ullmann <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hello Ross and Scott,

thank you!

@Ross: I was actually thinking of doing a screencast showing the
development of widgets using ant to build the widget skeleton. Time
permitting, should I add a screencast tutorial section to the wookie
incubator page?

@Scott: Thanks for the tip. I will try a newer version of the wookie
server to test the demo functionality. By now I am working with
version 0.8. With this version I could not find a way to demo it. See
here: http://wookie.kmi.open.ac.uk/wookie/webmenu/WidgetWebMenuServlet?operation=LISTWIDGETS

Best,

Thomas

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:

> These screencasts are great Thanks for the contribution.
>
> Note that the process you demonstrate is a more complex than is necessary.
> Creating a hello world widget is as simple as:
>
> cd $WOOKIE_HOME/widgets
> ant seed-widget
>
> To run the server locally:
>
> cd $WOOKIE_HOME
> ant run
> http://localhost:8080/wookie
>
> To view the widget:
> go to the widget gallery and click "demo" on your widget
>
> To redeploy after editing the widget:
> ant deploy-widget
>
> This is more fully documented in
> http://incubator.apache.org/wookie/building-widgets.html
>
> and also in the materials at
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/wookie/trunk/tutorials/

Posted by Thomas Ullmann <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hello Ross and Scott,

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 17 Feb 2010, at 16:41, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 17/02/2010 16:35, Scott Wilson wrote:

>>> These screencasts are great Thanks for the contribution.
>>
>> Definitely - really nice, I particularly like the bit highlighting
>> what
>> all the bits of config.xml are for.
>
> I intended to add a link to the "building widgets page", but I
> haven't done so yet and am about to leave the connected world. if
> someone has the time...

Done!

Re: Screencast Widget tutorial

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 17/02/2010 16:35, Scott Wilson wrote:
> On 17 Feb 2010, at 15:10, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> On 17/02/2010 14:53, Thomas Ullmann wrote:
>>> I created to screencast of how to build a widget and how to upload it
>>> to the wookie server.
>>> Both screencast are directed to users, who have never build a widget.
>>>

>> These screencasts are great Thanks for the contribution.
>
> Definitely - really nice, I particularly like the bit highlighting what
> all the bits of config.xml are for.

I intended to add a link to the "building widgets page", but I haven't
done so yet and am about to leave the connected world. if someone has
the time...

Ross

Re: Screencast Widget tutorial

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.