Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2002/04/02 16:56:46 UTC

Re: [1.3 Patch] PerlSetEnv

ok, Matt, Eric, and I spent some time investigating this last week.  here's the summary:

 - nobody else has been able to reproduce the test failure on their system

 - Matt was able to verify that even though the test was failing the bug was not apparent
on his system (via a quick handler and httpd -X)

 - for those of us that were able to test successfully (Eric and I), we verified that
backing the change from mod_perl.c caused the test to fail

 - after make install, Matt was no longer able to reproduce the failed test.

so, that's where we are today.  I'm not sure where to go from here - our collective
efforts were not able to determine where the fault in the test was (both via the code and
the thought behind it), but we pretty much determined that the fault is in the test and
not mod_perl proper.

the test was kinda an afterthought to me, but I think it makes sense to have it.
nevertheless, I'm not sure how we should proceed.  I'm not all that comfortable with a
major release containing a test that may (knowingly) fail, especially one that nobody
seems to understand.  but maybe Matt was just an outlier, since nobody else seems to be
reporting this particular failure.

at any rate, there's where we are.  I think that is about it, but Matt and Eric can feel
free to correct me if my memory isn't entirely accurate.

--Geoff