Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by "Rob Shepherd (DataCymru)" <rs...@datacymru.net> on 2011/07/26 12:25:02 UTC

Javascript Compressor - JQuery 1.6.2 Minified

Hi Wicket Users,

For those of you who use JQuery, the default DEPLOYMENT mode Javascript
compressor detects a comment within the
MINIFIED version of JQuery 1.6.2

AFFECTED: http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.6.2.min.js (231kB)
UNAFFECTED: http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.6.2.js        (90kB)

We found this problem when pushing the application to the pre-production
cluster with the application built for deployment mode.

It break the execution of the main JQuery script.

I located the problem using this online tool for showing side-by-side
colored character differences
http://www.raymondhill.net/finediff/viewdiff-ex.php

- because of course the minifed versions of these libraries are all
squashed onto just a few long lines, so the normal diff tools are not
much use.

Here's a screen-shot of the diff showing where wicket has stripped the
code.
(I couldn't post it to the list)
http://dug.im/d6f16

NOTE: The diff-tool has cosmetically wrapped the lines of the source, so
it all appears on one line.

I'm not sure what can be done about this.  As the majority of our
libraries have MINIFIED versions anyway, we'll just turn off
the javascript compress funcitons and make sure the minified versions
are loaded in deployment configuration.

I still have all the pieces of diagnostic work lying around so if
anybody feels it's worth raising an issue report - I can do it, let me know.

All the best,

Rob

Re: Javascript Compressor - JQuery 1.6.2 Minified

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
I believe this is already fixed.
And yes - I see no reason to run compressor over minified script.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Rob Shepherd (DataCymru)
<rs...@datacymru.net> wrote:
> Hi Wicket Users,
>
> For those of you who use JQuery, the default DEPLOYMENT mode Javascript
> compressor detects a comment within the
> MINIFIED version of JQuery 1.6.2
>
> AFFECTED: http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.6.2.min.js (231kB)
> UNAFFECTED: http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.6.2.js        (90kB)
>

> We found this problem when pushing the application to the pre-production
> cluster with the application built for deployment mode.
>
> It break the execution of the main JQuery script.
>
> I located the problem using this online tool for showing side-by-side
> colored character differences
> http://www.raymondhill.net/finediff/viewdiff-ex.php
>
> - because of course the minifed versions of these libraries are all squashed
> onto just a few long lines, so the normal diff tools are not much use.
>

> Here's a screen-shot of the diff showing where wicket has stripped the code.
> (I couldn't post it to the list)
> http://dug.im/d6f16
>

> NOTE: The diff-tool has cosmetically wrapped the lines of the source, so it
> all appears on one line.
>

> I'm not sure what can be done about this.  As the majority of our libraries
> have MINIFIED versions anyway, we'll just turn off
> the javascript compress funcitons and make sure the minified versions are
> loaded in deployment configuration.
>
> I still have all the pieces of diagnostic work lying around so if anybody
> feels it's worth raising an issue report - I can do it, let me know.
>
> All the best,
>
> Rob

Martin Grigorov
jWeekend