Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Dikang Gu <di...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/21 15:21:26 UTC

Is it *safe* to issue multiple replace-node at the same time?

Hi guys,

Sometimes we need to replace multiple hosts in the same rack, is it safe to
replace them in parallel, using the replace-node command?

Will it cause any data inconsistency if we do so?

Thanks
Dikang.

--
Dikang

Re: Is it *safe* to issue multiple replace-node at the same time?

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.
It's safe but since the replacement node will stream data from a single
replica per local range, it will potentially propagate any inconsistencies
from the replica it streams from, so it's recommended to run repair after a
replace to reduce entropy specially when replacing a node with the same IP
due to CASSANDRA-12344.

Posted by kurt Greaves <ku...@instaclustr.com>.

Posted by Ben Bromhead <be...@instaclustr.com>.

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016, 07:22 Dikang Gu <di...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Sometimes we need to replace multiple hosts in the same rack, is it safe
> to replace them in parallel, using the replace-node command?
>
> Will it cause any data inconsistency if we do so?
>
> Thanks
> Dikang.
>
> --
> Dikang
>
> --
Ben Bromhead
CTO | Instaclustr <https://www.instaclustr.com/>
+1 650 284 9692
Managed Cassandra / Spark on AWS, Azure and Softlayer