Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/22 03:27:08 UTC

AOO as a portable application

Hi all,

I would know if the ASF will produce in the future a portable version of
AOO.
I think such a version could help to promote the use of AOO, as most recent
computers are able  to run even big applications directly from an USB key.
It's also nice for demos, etc.

Regards
--
gw

Re: AOO as a portable application

Posted by Taf <ta...@gmail.com>.
2012/7/23 Zhe Liu <al...@gmail.com>

> After building, There is an archive version of AOO generated. You can
> directly extract it to anywhere and then use it. No installation
> process is required. Do you mean this way?
>
> 2012/7/22 Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would know if the ASF will produce in the future a portable version of
> > AOO.
> > I think such a version could help to promote the use of AOO, as most
> recent
> > computers are able  to run even big applications directly from an USB
> key.
> > It's also nice for demos, etc.
> >
> > Regards
> > --
> > gw
>

> --
> Best Regards
> From aliuzhe@gmail.com

Hi all,
the portable version of ApacheOpenOffice doesen't works exactly as the Zhe
Liu's description.

FYI, here you (all) can better understand how X-AOO launcher works:
X-Launcher Tutorial in English:
http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.966

--
ByE By TaF® O-|->
(winPenPack Project team member)

Re: AOO as a portable application

Posted by Zhe Liu <al...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Guy Waterval wrote:
> 2012/7/22 drew
>> The other packager was:
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/winpenpack/
>> again I would not be surprised to see them update soon also.

WinPenPack has just updated their site: they are now offering a "live"
or "portable" version of Apache OpenOffice 3.4 called
"X-ApacheOpenOffice". See
http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?view.1341
to download it.

Their old page for X-OpenOffice.org (serving version 3.3) has been
updated too, and now points to the X-ApacheOpenOffice page.

> I hope to see AOO portable, but perhaps there are some difficulties for
> legal issues.  We will see.

It's just a lenghty procedure. The Apache OpenOffice PPMC took very
(very!) long to authorize the WinPenPack version because we have
multiple levels of review (trademarks, licenses, technical differences
with the official version and so on) and several issues were quite new
to Apache.

>> http://portableapps.com/development/outdated
>> for one example - look for a change in that status in short order, or so
>> is my guess ;)

Just connect the dots...

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: AOO as a portable application

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Grüezi Drew,

2012/7/22 drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>

> On Sun, 2012-07-22 at 03:27 +0200, Guy Waterval wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would know if the ASF will produce in the future a portable version of
> > AOO.
> > I think such a version could help to promote the use of AOO, as most
> recent
> > computers are able  to run even big applications directly from an USB
> key.
> > It's also nice for demos, etc.
> >
> > Regards
>
> Howdy Guy,
>
> Ah, good question - I assume you know that OpenOffice was available for
> a long time in 'portable garb' from at least two third party sources:
>
> The transition over to Apache OpenOffice just put a kink in things, but
> my impression is that this is about to be cleared up.
>
> I'd direct you to this link:
> http://portableapps.com/development/outdated
>
> for one example - look for a change in that status in short order, or so
> is my guess ;)
>
> The other packager was:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/winpenpack/
>

> again I would not be surprised to see them update soon also.

Many thanks for the links which lead to some interesting portable
applications.
I hope to see AOO portable, but perhaps there are some difficulties for
legal issues.
We will see.

Best regards

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Sun, 2012-07-22 at 03:27 +0200, Guy Waterval wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would know if the ASF will produce in the future a portable version of
> AOO.
> I think such a version could help to promote the use of AOO, as most recent
> computers are able  to run even big applications directly from an USB key.
> It's also nice for demos, etc.
>
> Regards

Howdy Guy,

Ah, good question - I assume you know that OpenOffice was available for
a long time in 'portable garb' from at least two third party sources:

The transition over to Apache OpenOffice just put a kink in things, but
my impression is that this is about to be cleared up.

I'd direct you to this link:
http://portableapps.com/development/outdated

for one example - look for a change in that status in short order, or so
is my guess ;)

The other packager was:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winpenpack/

again I would not be surprised to see them update soon also.

HTH,

//drew