Posted to user@hive.apache.org by ur lops <ur...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/10 19:47:33 UTC

Connecting to Hive

Hi,
     I have very generic question but I am looking to get some guidance
from the community.  I have a  proprietary database system with
SQL interface. But, we are exploring the opportunity to submit the SQL by
the client and my query can go to hadoop or the proprietary database.
       My question is: what are the options for me to do it and their pros
and cons.
I kmnow few options like: using odbc driver, using rest api or using thrift
client.
Does anyone has experience with them. It would be great to hear their
experience
Best
Rob

Re: Connecting to Hive

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
hello Rob,

hive does have both jdbc and hiverserver as well so you can connect them
remotely.
the issue here would be more of
1) how will you keep the data in sync between hive and your datastore
2) There are plenty of queries which work on properietary databases but
will not work on hive as it is
3) how are you planning to decide which query goes to which datastore?

Others will have far more details questions as well but never heard anyone
doing a dual live setup where queries can run anywhere on traditional data
stores as well as hive on the fly

--
Nitin Pawar