Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/06 15:19:31 UTC

[io] Version for Java 1.4

Hi,

Commons IO trunk is already using Java 5 features (which is nice), but
I was wondering about how we can make the next IO release usable in
environments that still run Java 1.4. For example I've just added a
few extra classes (see IO-192 and IO-193) that I'd like to start using
in projects like Apache Jackrabbit that still target Java 1.4 as the
base platform.

One option that we use in Apache Tika is the Maven retrotranslator
plugin. It produces an extra retrotranslated version of the jar
artifact for use in Java 1.4 environments. Another option is to
maintain a separate branch for a Java 1.4 (or older) version of
Commons IO.

Any thoughts on this?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [io] Version for Java 1.4

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 5:04 AM, Niall Pemberton
>> I think the new Java5 stuff in trunk should be released as IO 2.0 - so
>> we could release a IO 1.5 version that is for JDK 1.4. Having said
>> that JDK 1.4 is so old now I don't really think we should bother
>> supporting it and just focus on getting a release of the latest stuff
>> out.
>
> +1.  1.4 is too dead, move JackRabbit off it ;)

Yeah. :-) Before Jackrabbit 2.0 later this year we'll probably still
do at least one more minor Jackrabbit 1.x release based on Java 1.4,
and it would be nice to have it depend on a recent Commons IO version.

However, this itch is not big enough that I'd volunteer to manually
backport changes to IO_1_4_BRANCH. A retrotranslated version of IO 2.0
would be nicer, or alternatively I'd copy and backport just the
relevant classes into the Jackrabbit codebase.

In any case I agree that having IO 2.0 out would be nice.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [io] Version for Java 1.4

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
<ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Commons IO trunk is already using Java 5 features (which is nice), but
>> I was wondering about how we can make the next IO release usable in
>> environments that still run Java 1.4. For example I've just added a
>> few extra classes (see IO-192 and IO-193) that I'd like to start using
>> in projects like Apache Jackrabbit that still target Java 1.4 as the
>> base platform.
>>
>> One option that we use in Apache Tika is the Maven retrotranslator
>> plugin. It produces an extra retrotranslated version of the jar
>> artifact for use in Java 1.4 environments. Another option is to
>> maintain a separate branch for a Java 1.4 (or older) version of
>> Commons IO.
>> Any thoughts on this?
>
> We created a branch before the Java 1.5 changes were started:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/io/branches/IO_1_4_BRANCH/
>
> I think the new Java5 stuff in trunk should be released as IO 2.0 - so
> we could release a IO 1.5 version that is for JDK 1.4. Having said
> that JDK 1.4 is so old now I don't really think we should bother
> supporting it and just focus on getting a release of the latest stuff
> out.

+1.  1.4 is too dead, move JackRabbit off it ;)

Hen

Re: [io] Version for Java 1.4

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 2:15 AM, Gary Gregory
<GG...@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
> An IO version for java 5+ soon would be great. I'd be happy with our first IO 2.x release being just an internal clean up of anything that benefits of Java 5 API along with generics.

That has pretty much been done in trunk. I think its just a case of
reviewing remaining bugs and then going for a release.

Niall

RE: [io] Version for Java 1.4

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.

Re: [io] Version for Java 1.4