Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Christopher Kohlhaas <ko...@cs.uni-bonn.de> on 2002/02/22 22:28:27 UTC

PATCH: xsp.xsl and esql.xsl strip whitespace incorrectly

Hello Cocooners,

I've come along the following whitespace problem in esql.xsl and xsp.xsl

The esql fragment:

<esql:query>select * from test_table where id =
  <esql:parameter>
    <xsp:expr>id</xsp:expr>
  </esql:parameter>
</esql:query>

produces the following code

_esql_query.getPreparedStatement().setString(1, String.valueOf(""
                           + "                                  "
                           + (id)
                           + "                               "));

I found a similiar problem with the following expression

<xsp:attribute name="name">
      <esql:get-string column="name"/>
</xsp:attribute>

Is this intended or a bug?

If that is non intended behaviour, I would propose the following sollution:

Add the xsl:strip-space instruction at the beginning of esql.xsl:

<xsl:strip-space elements="esql:parameter esql:driver esql:dburl esql:username esql:password esql:pool esql:property esql:max-rows esql:skip-rows esql:encoding"/>

and at the beginning of xsp.xsl add:
<xsl:strip-space elements="xsp:attribute xsp:expr xsp:param xsp:element"/>

Christopher

RE: PATCH: xsp.xsl and esql.xsl strip whitespace incorrectly

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Christopher Kohlhaas [mailto:kohlhaas@cs.uni-bonn.de]
>
> Hello Cocooners,
>
> I've come along the following whitespace problem in esql.xsl and
xsp.xsl

> The esql fragment:
>
> <esql:query>select * from test_table where id =
>   <esql:parameter>
>     <xsp:expr>id</xsp:expr>
>   </esql:parameter>
> </esql:query>
>
> produces the following code
>
> _esql_query.getPreparedStatement().setString(1, String.valueOf(""
>                            + "                                  "
>                            + (id)
>                            + "                               "));
>
> I found a similiar problem with the following expression
>
> <xsp:attribute name="name">
>       <esql:get-string column="name"/>
> </xsp:attribute>
>
> Is this intended or a bug?

I think it is intended (especially in the xsp:element). You may want to
generate white space symbols, which are no different in XML from
non-white space symbols. White spaces play important role in plain text
output generation.

Vadim