Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net.INVALID> on 2020/01/30 01:05:39 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Velocity Engine 2.2 RC6 test build available

The test build of Velocity Engine 2.2 RC6 is available.

No determination as to the quality ('alpha,' 'beta,' or 'GA') of
Velocity Engine 2.2 has been made, and at this time it is simply a "test
build". We welcome any comments you may have, and will take all feedback
into account if a quality vote is called for this build.

Release notes:

*
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/velocity/velocity-engine/2.2/release-notes.html

  * https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/velocity/velocity-engine/2.2/

Maven 2 staging repository:

  *
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachevelocity-1034/

Documentation:

* https://velocity.apache.org/engine/2.2/

Sources:

  * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/engine/tags/2.2/

Release Candidates History:

  * RC1 Initial RC

  * RC2
  - added BigInteger and BigDecimal implicit conversions
  - [VELOCITY-923] fixed a parser regression for `$foo||`
  - [VELOCITY-904] fixed two corner case bugs for the
velocimacro.arguments.preserve_literals backward compatibility flag
  - fixed engine and dependency versions in README and mention the
parser customization feature in the *building* section
  - nicified README links
  - upgraded surfire plugin version from 2.19.1 to 2.22.1
  - upgraded maven-jar-plugin from 3.1.1 to 3.2.2
  - added version 1.2 for extra-enforcer-rules
  - upgraded maven-javadoc-plugin from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1
  - upgraded findbugs-maven-plugin from 3.0.4 to 3.0.5
  - upgraded maven-release-plugin from *unspecified* to 3.0.0-M1
  - added a new templatized static class
org.apache.velocity.runtime.VelocityEngineVersion.java
  - use the File Separator control character to mark the end of stream
for the parser (instead of the zero-width space char)
  - reviewed packaging of engine examples (refreshed content, plus made
them as a standalone zip file with readme, shell scripts, dependencies
and examples sources rather than a meaningless standalone pom next to a
jar without explanations...)

* RC3
  - [VELOCITY-904] fixed yet another corner case bugs for the
velocimacro.arguments.preserve_literals backward compatibility flag
  - upgraded SLF4J from 1.7.28 to 1.7.30

* RC4
  - [VELOCITY-904] fixed a regression introduced in RC3

* RC5
  - [VELOCITY-924] fixed cache collision between an object and its class
  - Javadoc fixes in parser genereted classes
  - [VELOCITY-925] fixed BC whitespace gobbling for macro call without
parentheses
  - [VELOCITY-926] fixed regression: Macro arguments names cannot
collide with external references names
  - upgraded junit from 4.12 to 4.13

* RC6
- [VELOCITY-926] fixed side effects by deprecating
velocimacro.arguments.preserve_literals config flag in favor of
velocimacro.enable_bc_mode, which (besides preserving arguments
literals) uses global context values as defaults for missing macro
arguments without explicit defaults (as did 1.7)

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Velocity Engine 2.2 RC6 test build available

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Nice work.  Like the new switchable symbols in the grammar.

For reference, I downloaded the source from the release, reviewed the poms
and license files, built and ran tests (Windows 64 Java 8, Maven 3.5.2).
Looks great.

Cheers, WILL

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Here is my vote, +1

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@schmiedehausen.org>.
You’re right.

Still, the engine would benefit from building on newer versions of the JDK.
Not the least because you can use the --release switch which is superior to
the source/target bootclasspath dance. That requires JDK 9+ to build (you
can still use JDK8 as target).

-h

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@schmiedehausen.org>.
oh, another thing (which may be just the way apache works): I literally had
to dig out an svn client and get the code from the svn repo. There is no
tag (neither 2.2 nor 2.2RC6) on github (github.com/apache/velocity-engine).
There are a bunch of other RC tags (for 2.0 and 2.1). This may just be a
quirk on how the git mirror in apache works; but I would have expected to
find the RC tags there.

-h

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@schmiedehausen.org>.
Hi Claude,

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net.INVALID>.
+1

[RESULT] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Velocity Engine 2.2 RC6 test build available

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net.INVALID>.
All active PMCs expressed themselves.

Sorry for not separating the [ANNOUNCEMENT] from the [VOTE] thread. The
[VOTE] email is still sitting in my drafts, I voted for the announcement
instead, and everyone followed. After all the [VOTE] tag in the subject
is not a requirement of the official ASF policy, just that there is a
vote. We're not going to solicit everyone again.

So now to the result:

four binding +1 from Nathan, Michael, Will and myself
one +0.5 from Michael
one non-binding +1 from Greg Huber

More than three +1 and more +1 than -1, so it's a go.

I shall promote the release in Maven Central very soon. Every kind of
help is welcome in spreading the word about the new release.

   --
   Claude

Posted by Greg Huber <gr...@gmail.com>.
Works well for me now.  Thanks.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
+1 Looks good to me. Thanks, Claude. Hope we can get this out before the
next board report is due. :)