Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com> on 2008/11/26 13:06:56 UTC

back compat testing

We now run "ant test-tag" in the nightly build, to verify that all
unit tests in 2.4.0 still pass, which is awesome.

But, for LUCENE-1464, which is ready to commit, there is a bug in
TestLockFactory whereby its rmDir method hits an NPE if the directory
doesn't exist.  For two testcases that now happens because I fixed
FSDir.getDirectory to not create the dir (until createOutput is called).

I think the test should be fixed, and my patch has that fix, but in
order to keep using "ant test-tag", I'd like to make a branch and
commit the fix for this test onto that branch, and fix "ant test-tag"
to checkout that branch.

Any objections?  How about the name "branches/
lucene_2_4_back_compat_tests"?

Going forward if we ever need to "fix" tests, I think we commit
the fix to that branch at the same time as committing to trunk.

Mike

Re: back compat testing

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Oh that's a good idea.

OK I'll take this approach.

Mike

Re: back compat testing

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
I've created this branch (lucene_2_4_back_compat_tests) and fix the
build
scripts to use that branch.

I haven't removed all but tests cases on the branch yet -- I think we
don't
actually need to do that?  Ie, nobody should ever checkout that branch
and
run "ant test" (it's only "ant test-tag" that does it)?

Mike

Re: back compat testing

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
+1. I think this makes sense.