Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/18 13:18:57 UTC

[RELEASE][PLANNING]: possible date for AOO 4.1.1

Hi,

I am currently thinking about a possible release date for AOO 4.1.1 and
believe a date in August would be good. The main question is how long
the QA work will take?

AOO 4.1.1 will be a bugfix release only with some additional translation
update and potentially new languages.

A further point is if we make a Beta or not or work with RC candidates
only. Again it is a bugfix release only and every official release (and
a Beta is official) needs more effort. And when I try to reflect the
last Beta I don't think it was very successful. We had >300000 downloads
and thought we would receive the necessary and good feedback we need to
release a good version. AOO 4.1 is good but we have some serious issues
that were not detected during normal Qa and not during the Beta phase of
active Beta users.

Currently we have 26 issues with granted or requested showstopper flag.
Most of them are already fixed.

I haven't seen any issue so far a translation update. If issues exist
already please request the showstopper flag asap.

We have no new strings and I know that update work or fixing of
translation is already ongoing. We should plan in time with a deadline
for translation updates. I think a possible date can be mid of July. We
need a fixed date that people can plan accordingly, otherwise we run
always in the same situation and changes are coming in late. But that
don't scale very well and we should keep deadlines in mind.

What does others think about it?

Juergen

PS: this mail is on dev only because dev is our main mailing list. We
have again the situation that people active on QA or l18n don't read dev
which is problematic because they potentially miss important news for
upcoming releases. But sending info on all lists will result is split
discussion that I would like to avoid. I didn't really worked in the
past, even not with a reply-to filed. Well final deadlines will be
communicated on the qa@ and l18n@ list as well.

Re: [RELEASE][PLANNING]: possible date for AOO 4.1.1

Posted by Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com>.

> On 19/06/14 03:55, Shenfeng Liu wrote:
> > Hi, Juergen,

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am currently thinking about a possible release date for AOO 4.1.1 and
> >> believe a date in August would be good. The main question is how long
> >> the QA work will take?
> >>

> > I think August is a reasonable target date.
> > I checked the testlink and found Yu Zhen already created AOO 4.1.1 test
> > plan with test cases added.
> >
> > One question: when will we (or did we already?) create a 4.1.1 branch?
> I'm
> > asking because not only we need to input a build in testlink before we
> can
> > assign test cases to QA volunteers to start the test execution, but also
> it
> > can not be formally counted as 4.1.1 testing if performed on trunk build.
>
> We plan to work on the AOO410 branch and reuse it, we work a minor
> bugfix release only. The released version are tagged and that's enough.
>
> I will upload a first dev build today or tomorrow

That's great!

> > Thanks!
> >

> >> AOO 4.1.1 will be a bugfix release only with some additional translation
> >> update and potentially new languages.
> >>
> >> A further point is if we make a Beta or not or work with RC candidates
> >> only. Again it is a bugfix release only and every official release (and
> >> a Beta is official) needs more effort. And when I try to reflect the
> >> last Beta I don't think it was very successful. We had >300000 downloads
> >> and thought we would receive the necessary and good feedback we need to
> >> release a good version. AOO 4.1 is good but we have some serious issues
> >> that were not detected during normal Qa and not during the Beta phase of
> >> active Beta users.
> >>

> > I agree that Beta is not necessary for AOO 4.1.1.
> >

> >> Currently we have 26 issues with granted or requested showstopper flag.
> >> Most of them are already fixed.
> >>

> > From QA perspective, the 4.1.1 testing can early start as soon as the 1st
> > 4.1.1 build available. But we need to define a DCUT milestone, by which
> > date, all the fixes are delivered to AOO 4.1.1 branch and no more patch
> > will be accepted unless identified as blocking or 4.1.1 regression. Then
> we
> > can run the regression test after the DCUT to cover all impacted areas.
>
> we already in this mode and integrate only showstopper in the branch.
>
> We can align this with the translation deadline and after this date we
> can start or continue with the regression testing

Great!
We can plan the testing accordingly.
Thanks, Juergen!

- Shenfeng (Simon)

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Juergen,

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 20/06/14 14:11, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 18/06/2014 Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> AOO 4.1.1 will be a bugfix release only with some additional translation
>> update and potentially new languages.
>
> Surely new languages: we have at least two new ones completed since 4.1.0.
>
>> A further point is if we make a Beta or not or work with RC candidates
>> only.
>
> As others wrote, I'm for avoiding an official beta too. Snapshots and
> RCs are enough.
>
>> I haven't seen any issue so far a translation update. If issues exist
>> already please request the showstopper flag asap.
>
> So, do you prefer that translators open issues now (and potentially need
> that you do the import work twice, now and after the deadline; but this
> way they can preview their work) or that they keep working until the
> deadline and open issues shortly before it?

well, as soon as possible. Especially for completely new languages we
often had typos, mismatched tags etc. that should be fixed as early as
possible.

The translator should know best when a good time is, what's still
ongoing or not.

And volunteers are welcome to work on the integration. It's no magic and
I will give support.

Juergen

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/18/2014 02:10 PM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
> Issues for potential updates of dictionaries are required as well

Good point. I've added this to the new release planning template [1].

> On 18/06/14 13:18, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently thinking about a possible release date for AOO 4.1.1 and
>> believe a date in August would be good. The main question is how long
>> the QA work will take?

August will take us into the vacation period. It's unsure if we get
ready with QA testing until this date due to short test resources.

And with a date in July it's maybe too short time to get everything
tested until then.

Hm, difficult. ;-)

I would go with a date in August as it gives us more time.

>> AOO 4.1.1 will be a bugfix release only with some additional translation
>> update and potentially new languages.
>>
>> A further point is if we make a Beta or not or work with RC candidates
>> only. Again it is a bugfix release only and every official release (and
>> a Beta is official) needs more effort. And when I try to reflect the
>> last Beta I don't think it was very successful. We had>300000 downloads
>> and thought we would receive the necessary and good feedback we need to
>> release a good version. AOO 4.1 is good but we have some serious issues
>> that were not detected during normal Qa and not during the Beta phase of
>> active Beta users.

Then I would not create a Beta release.

>> Currently we have 26 issues with granted or requested showstopper flag.
>> Most of them are already fixed.
>>
>> I haven't seen any issue so far a translation update. If issues exist
>> already please request the showstopper flag asap.
>>
>> We have no new strings and I know that update work or fixing of
>> translation is already ongoing. We should plan in time with a deadline
>> for translation updates. I think a possible date can be mid of July. We
>> need a fixed date that people can plan accordingly, otherwise we run
>> always in the same situation and changes are coming in late. But that
>> don't scale very well and we should keep deadlines in mind.

Fixed date is good. Then it's clear when it has to be finished. But it's
only 1 month to go, so it should be announced as soon as possible.

>> What does others think about it?

+1

Just a short question:

Do you had a chance to look at the new release planning template [1]? I
don't know if it fits also for bugfix releases as these releases highly
depends from what is really included (e.g., with or without string changes).

Of course it's just a first version and can be improved.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Release+Planning+Template

Marcus

Re: [RELEASE][PLANNING]: possible date for AOO 4.1.1

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 06/18/2014 05:10 AM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> Issues for potential updates of dictionaries are required as well
>
> Juergen
>
> On 18/06/14 13:18, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently thinking about a possible release date for AOO 4.1.1 and
>> believe a date in August would be good. The main question is how long
>> the QA work will take?
>>
>> AOO 4.1.1 will be a bugfix release only with some additional translation
>> update and potentially new languages.
>>
>> A further point is if we make a Beta or not or work with RC candidates
>> only. Again it is a bugfix release only and every official release (and
>> a Beta is official) needs more effort. And when I try to reflect the
>> last Beta I don't think it was very successful. We had >300000 downloads
>> and thought we would receive the necessary and good feedback we need to
>> release a good version. AOO 4.1 is good but we have some serious issues
>> that were not detected during normal Qa and not during the Beta phase of
>> active Beta users.
>>
>> Currently we have 26 issues with granted or requested showstopper flag.
>> Most of them are already fixed.
>>
>> I haven't seen any issue so far a translation update. If issues exist
>> already please request the showstopper flag asap.
>>
>> We have no new strings and I know that update work or fixing of
>> translation is already ongoing. We should plan in time with a deadline
>> for translation updates. I think a possible date can be mid of July. We
>> need a fixed date that people can plan accordingly, otherwise we run
>> always in the same situation and changes are coming in late. But that
>> don't scale very well and we should keep deadlines in mind.
>>
>> What does others think about it?

Currently, this sounds like a reasonable plan. In my opinion, we don't
need a "beta" for a maintenance release.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.