Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Daryl Stultz <da...@6degrees.com> on 2009/04/21 21:00:37 UTC

Apache Tomcat 503 errors

Hello,

I posted this on the Apache list a while back and didn't get any response.

I'm running Fedora Core 5, httpd-2.2.2-1.2 (worker MPM), Tomcat 5.5.17, Java
jdk1.5.0_07. I have about 40 connections/apps from Apache to Tomcat like so:

ProxyPass /foo ajp://localhost:8009/foo/

I am getting a fair amount of 503 errors. Logs look like this:

Tomcat catalina.out
Mar 29, 2009 1:35:23 PM org.apache.jk.core.MsgContext action
WARNING: Error sending end packet
java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe

Apache ssl_access
xxx.xxx.xxx.102 - - [29/Mar/2009:13:35:18 -0400] "POST /foo/bar HTTP/1.1"
503 40920

Apache ssl_error
[Sun Mar 29 13:35:22 2009] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.102] proxy: error
processing body, referer: https://foo.bar.com/foo/bar
[Sun Mar 29 13:35:22 2009] [error] proxy: got bad response (5) from
127.0.0.1:8009 (localhost)

The times are not exact matches but the pattern is consistent. I don't know
if this is a Tomcat problem or Apache/mod_proxy. Many requests are GET - not
all POST. The client hasn't complained about specifically seeing the 503
error, it could be hidden or messing things up in some other way (like my
AJAX backend).

Can anyone give me some guidance here? Googling the log entries does't
amount to much. The feedback on "java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe"
seems to be that it's harmless, but it does coincide with Apache errors and
ultimately 503, so I don't think it's a simple case of the user hitting the
"stop" button.

Is there a preferred alternative to connecting Apache and Tomcat? Or is
mod_proxy the best?

Thanks for the help.

P.S. I know the system is old, and you might be inclined to tell me to
upgrade but I don't have that option at the moment. Any ideas on what to
explore would be helpful.

--
Daryl Stultz
_____________________________________

Re: Apache Tomcat 503 errors

Posted by Daryl Stultz <da...@6degrees.com>.
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> mod_proxy_ajp is included in httpd, and there have been /lots/ of
> improvements since 2.2.2. Since you can't upgrade, would you consider
> switching to using mod_jk, which is available independently? The
> configuration is a bit more involved, but you may get better results.

Thanks Chris, I'll look into it.

--
Daryl Stultz
_____________________________________

RE: Apache Tomcat 503 errors

Posted by Robin Wilson <rw...@kingsisle.com>.
FYI, we've been using AJP (Apache 2.2.11, tomcat 6.0.18) for a while now, and we've had issues with 503s as well. We think we've narrowed them down to timeouts on our firewall between the Apache and Tomcat hosts. So we added 'keepalive' to the ProxyPass directives - and we're now monitoring to see if the 503s come back (so far, so good).

--
Robin D. Wilson
Director of Web Development

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> > Is there a preferred alternative to connecting Apache and Tomcat? Or is
> > mod_proxy the best?
>
> mod_proxy_ajp is included in httpd, and there have been /lots/ of
> improvements since 2.2.2. Since you can't upgrade, would you consider
> switching to using mod_jk, which is available independently?<us...@tomcat.apache.org>

I switched to mod_jk-1.2.23 and I am pleased to say the 503 errors have gone
away! Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Daryl Stultz

Re: Apache Tomcat 503 errors