Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org> on 2002/07/03 05:59:12 UTC

Re: [PROBLEM]: XSLTC does not work

Sorry for the delayed response, my PC power supply burnt.

Would it be too painful to do what Jeremy is when XSLTC is broken?
I though we all felt that long term we want XSLTC as the main Cocoon
processor.
Making XSLTC  default now in 2.1-dev is the only reasonably fast way to have
it working for the next major release.
Otherwise it's just taking way too long for individuals to test it while the
XSLTC team is pretty fast at resolving issues.
I think we should take advantage of their current availability.
Having a 5x faster processor is just too tempting to miss.

If you think I'm wrong, vote against, otherwise vote for keeping XSLTC as
default for now.

+1

Gianugo, Tom, can you please communicate the problems to the XSLTC team?

Also, for those who encounter new bugs, in order to reduce turn around time,
please send bugs with sypmtoms directly to Tom and the xsltc-team list in
addition to cocoo-dev.

Thanks.

Ivelin

On Monday, July 1, 2002, at 01:08 PM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> with the latest switch to XSLTC, Cocoon isn't working anymore for
> me. My system is JDK 1.4.0.01, W2K, Tomcat 3.3a.

JDK 1.3.1, MacOSX 10.1.5, TomCat 4.0.4-b3

I don't get exceptions, but I get some expressions not returning
results with xsltc where they do with xalan. (I'll do a proper
examination of what's going wrong later).

Switching my sitemap's default transformer to 'xalan' solves all
the problems.

regards Jeremy

Re: [PROBLEM]: XSLTC does not work

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
Hi Santiago,

With Tom bridging Xalan and Cocoon, we have had a very productive
relationship in the past.
I hope we will continue the high productivity record.

Attached are the xml source and the corresponding Xalan and XSLTC ouputs
produced with Xalan 2.4.1.
As you will notice they are very different.
I also attach the two XSLT files which are applied sequentially.
wizard2html.xsl first and then xmlform2html.xsl.

Hopefully this is enough information to track down the bug causing different
outputs.

Regards,

Ivelin

Posted by Tom Amiro <To...@Sun.COM>.
Ivelin,

Posted by Tom Amiro <To...@Sun.COM>.
Ivelin,

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
Tom,

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
Tom,

Posted by Jacek Ambroziak <ja...@yahoo.com>.
--- Tom Amiro <To...@Sun.COM> wrote:
> We'll do some testing with 1.4.1_01 to see if the
> problem
> is with the JVM or with XSLTC.

Tom, in my opinion the problem is more with the JVM
than XSLTC as the latter runs fine on any other VM.
But then _01 was an interim version and 1.4.1 is
expressly "beta." Hopefully 1.4.1-FCS will restore
the order of the universe W/O slowing everything
down. OTOH, only XSLTC is affected -- other XSLT
solutions for Java run OK.
My $.02
--Jacek

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Re: [PROBLEM]: XSLTC does not work

Posted by Jacek Ambroziak <ja...@yahoo.com>.

RE: Found bug in XSLTC

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Koen Pellegrims [mailto:koen.pellegrims@pandora.be]
>
> I think this bug might be due to lazy type converions in XSLTC.
> Have you tried passing the numbers into the numbers()-function
> before the comparison, i.e.: <xsl:value-of select="number($var)
> &lt; number(3)"/> ?

I know work-around, see:

> >   <xsl:param name="var2" select="string($var)"/>

I report this so XSLTC team can improve compiler.

Vadim

> The assignment through the if-construct makes $var into a result-set;
I'm

Glenn.Miller@Sun.COM

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-cocoon2/lib/core/xsltc.

RE: Found bug in XSLTC

Posted by Koen Pellegrims <ko...@pandora.be>.

Found bug in XSLTC

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

No, sorry, I can only say this, when I used 1.4.1_01 with XSLTC, I got this
exception:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Attempting to format number '0.0' using pattern
''.
in most cases.

I don't get this exception (at least at the main examples page) with JDK
1.4.

I can't help more with 1.4.1_01 because I just totally removed it from my HD
as it seems to have many other severe bugs (javac throws exceptions, some
strange hang-ups etc.)

But I will post problems with xsltc and 1.4 if I get time to have a look at
it.

Carsten

RE: [PROBLEM]: XSLTC does not work

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Tom Amiro <To...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

Posted by Tom Amiro <To...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <sh...@mac.com>.
On Wednesday, July 3, 2002, at 04:59 AM, Ivelin Ivanov wrote:

> Sorry for the delayed response, my PC power supply burnt.
>

> Would it be too painful to do what Jeremy is when XSLTC is broken?

Thanks for reminding me ;)
I must find & report what caused my failure .....

> I though we all felt that long term we want XSLTC as the main Cocoon
> processor.
> Making XSLTC  default now in 2.1-dev is the only reasonably
> fast way to have
> it working for the next major release.
> Otherwise it's just taking way too long for individuals to test
> it while the
> XSLTC team is pretty fast at resolving issues.
> I think we should take advantage of their current availability.
> Having a 5x faster processor is just too tempting to miss.
>
> If you think I'm wrong, vote against, otherwise vote for
> keeping XSLTC as
> default for now.
>
> +1

+1

It's the best way to find the bugs ;)

regards Jeremy

Re: [PROBLEM]: XSLTC does not work

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the tip, Jacek.

How is your work on XSLTC going?

Best,

Ivelin

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the tip, Jacek.

Posted by Jacek Ambroziak <ja...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
> > Sorry for the delayed response, my PC power supply burnt.
> >

> > Would it be too painful to do what Jeremy is when XSLTC is broken?
> > I though we all felt that long term we want XSLTC as the main Cocoon
> > processor.
> > Making XSLTC  default now in 2.1-dev is the only reasonably fast
> > way to have
> > it working for the next major release.
> > Otherwise it's just taking way too long for individuals to test
> > it while the
> > XSLTC team is pretty fast at resolving issues.
> > I think we should take advantage of their current availability.
> > Having a 5x faster processor is just too tempting to miss.
> >
> Yes, *if* it would work! With the current implementation, not a
> single example is working! So, it doesn't matter if it's fast now.

Point taken.

All examples that I've tested work in my environment.
Win98, JDK 1.3.1_02, Tomcat 4.0.4, Cocoon 2.1-dev from CVS HEAD.

> > If you think I'm wrong, vote against, otherwise vote for keeping XSLTC
as
> > default for now.
> >
> Ok, here is my -1.
>
> You are right, that we should activate it in order to find bugs. But
> if nothing is working at all, all the other work is slowed down. If most
> samples are working, we can activate XSLTC and iron out the
> remaining bugs, but not any sooner. Sorry.

Let's do this: If we don't have a fix for your environment by July 12 (next
Friday) we will switch back to Xalan.

Agreed?

Ivelin

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.