Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Markus Wiederkehr <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/29 19:20:03 UTC

Howto build trunk?

I'd like to contribute a patch for JAMES-304 but I'm not sure how to
build the trunk aside from "ant dist"..

Specifically, how do you work in Eclipse? When I run "ant eclipse" on
the top level I get a lot of circular dependencies when I import the
projects.

In short: how do I get started?

Thanks,
Markus

PS: I guess the property 'name.module' in spring-deployment/build.xml
should be 'spring-deployment' instead of 'phoenix-deployment', right?

Re: Howto build trunk?

Posted by Markus Wiederkehr <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Markus Wiederkehr
>> <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'd like to contribute a patch for JAMES-304 but I'm not sure how to
>>> build the trunk aside from "ant dist"..
>>>
>>> Specifically, how do you work in Eclipse? When I run "ant eclipse" on
>>> the top level I get a lot of circular dependencies when I import the
>>> projects.
>>>
>>> In short: how do I get started?
>>
>> i think that the eclipse stuff hasn't been very well maintained so
>> it's probably better to use maven to generate the eclipse projects
>
> did this work for you?

ATM I'm working on a different PC and checking out the source code
seems to take ages.. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Markus

Re: Howto build trunk?

Posted by Markus Wiederkehr <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Markus Wiederkehr
> <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
>> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> did this work for you?
>>
>> It's a lot better now, but there are still a few errors. I ran "mvn
>> package" followed by "mvn eclipse:eclipse" from the top level project
>> and imported all resulting projects into Eclipse.
>>
>> The errors all have to do with class
>> o.a.avalon.framework.configuration.DefaultConfiguration from
>> avalon-framework-4.1.3.jar. Maybe 4.1.3 is the wrong version. The most
>> common error is "The constructor DefaultConfiguration(String) is
>> undefined".
>
> AFAICT it should be 4.3.1 (please feel free to dive in and commit a fix)

I would but avalon-framework-4.1.3 does not show up in "mvn
dependency:tree" and yet it is included in the build path of
core-function and spoolmanager-function by "mvn eclipse:eclipse"..

Any ideas?

Markus

Re: Howto build trunk?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Howto build trunk?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Markus Wiederkehr
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Markus Wiederkehr
> <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
>> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> did this work for you?
>>
>> It's a lot better now, but there are still a few errors. I ran "mvn
>> package" followed by "mvn eclipse:eclipse" from the top level project
>> and imported all resulting projects into Eclipse.
>>
>> The errors all have to do with class
>> o.a.avalon.framework.configuration.DefaultConfiguration from
>> avalon-framework-4.1.3.jar. Maybe 4.1.3 is the wrong version. The most
>> common error is "The constructor DefaultConfiguration(String) is
>> undefined".
>>
>> Is Ant or Maven the preferred build system now? BUILDING.txt refers to
>> Ant but "mvn package" seems to work just fine..
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Markus
>
> Update: I had to remove avalon-framework-4.1.3.jar from the build path
> because class DefaultConfiguration also exists in
> avalon-framework-impl-4.3.1.jar. Now all sub-projects seem to compile.
>
> I'm not sure where the old avalon jar comes from; maybe a transient
> dependency from one of the other jars..

possibly - i wonder what dependency convergence has to say...

- robert

Re: Howto build trunk?

Posted by Markus Wiederkehr <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Howto build trunk?

Posted by Markus Wiederkehr <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Howto build trunk?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Howto build trunk?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to contribute a patch for JAMES-304 but I'm not sure how to
> build the trunk aside from "ant dist"..
>
> Specifically, how do you work in Eclipse? When I run "ant eclipse" on
> the top level I get a lot of circular dependencies when I import the
> projects.
>
> In short: how do I get started?

i think that the eclipse stuff hasn't been very well maintained so
it's probably better to use maven to generate the eclipse projects

> Thanks,
> Markus
>
> PS: I guess the property 'name.module' in spring-deployment/build.xml
> should be 'spring-deployment' instead of 'phoenix-deployment', right?

+1

- robert