Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Bhavesh Mistry <mi...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/09 23:07:20 UTC

Need Document and Explanation Of New Metrics Name in New Java Producer on Kafka Trunk

Kafka Team,

Can you please let me know what each of following Metrics means ?  Some of
them are obvious, but some are hard to understand. My Topic name is
*TOPIC_NAME*.

can we enforce a Topic Name Convention or Metric Name Convention.  Because
in previous version of Kafka, we have similar issue of parsing Kafka
Metrics name with host name issue (codahale lib) .  I have topic name with
“.”  So, it is hard to distinguish metric name and topic.   Also,  when
guys get chance I would appreciate if you guys can explain metric
description on wiki so community would know what to monitor.  Please see
below for full list of metrics from new producer.

Thanks,

Bhavesh

record-queue-time-avg NaN
*node-1.*request-latency-max -Infinity
record-size-max -Infinity
*node-1.*incoming-byte-rate NaN
request-size-avg NaN
*node-1.*request-latency-avg NaN
*node-2.*request-size-avg NaN
requests-in-flight 0.0
bufferpool-wait-ratio NaN
network-io-rate NaN
metadata-age 239.828
records-per-request-avg NaN
record-retry-rate NaN
buffer-total-bytes 6.7108864E7
buffer-available-bytes 6.7108864E7
topic.*TOPIC_NAME*.record-error-rate NaN
record-send-rate NaN
select-rate NaN
node-2.outgoing-byte-rate NaN
topic.*TOPIC_NAME*.record-retry-rate NaN
batch-size-max -Infinity
connection-creation-rate NaN
node-1.outgoing-byte-rate NaN
topic.*TOPIC_NAME*.byte-rate NaN
waiting-threads 0.0
batch-size-avg NaN
io-wait-ratio NaN
io-wait-time-ns-avg NaN
io-ratio NaN
topic.TOPIC_NAME.record-send-rate NaN
request-size-max -Infinity
record-size-avg NaN
request-latency-max -Infinity
node-2.request-latency-max -Infinity
record-queue-time-max -Infinity
node-2.response-rate NaN
node-1.request-rate NaN
node-1.request-size-max -Infinity
connection-count 3.0
incoming-byte-rate NaN
compression-rate-avg NaN
request-rate NaN
node-1.response-rate NaN
node-2.request-latency-avg NaN
request-latency-avg NaN
record-error-rate NaN
connection-close-rate NaN
*node-2.*request-size-max -Infinity
topic.TOPIC_NAME.compression-rate NaN
node-2.incoming-byte-rate NaN
node-1.request-size-avg NaN
io-time-ns-avg NaN
outgoing-byte-rate NaN
*node-2*.request-rate NaN
response-rate NaN

Re: Need Document and Explanation Of New Metrics Name in New Java Producer on Kafka Trunk

Posted by Bhavesh Mistry <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jun,

I have created this issue for tracking purpose

Bhavesh

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bhavesh Mistry <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bhavesh,

Yes, if you look at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1481 it
describes this sort of a problem with various delimiters used by Kafka. As
Jun suggested, I'll start a new thread and try to clearly explain the
problem.

Otis

Posted by Bhavesh Mistry <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jun,

I also wanted to highlight the implication of having a dot "." as part of
the topic and client.id with ".".   Both topic name and client id need rule
enforcement.

JMX Bean names are not correct:

eg:

I have  topics  called "topic.dot"  and client.id as "my.client".

JMX Bean name is:

kafka.producer.*topic*:type=*dot*
kafka.producer.*my.client*.topic.topic:type=dot

With this developing a generic tool to flush the JMX values to some
reporting tool  for monitoring will be very hard to develop.  Please let me
know your recommendation. We had similar issues in Kafka old producer.

At my company, we have convention to use "." to separation out
functionality of website.  eg "search.log"  "checkout.log"  etc.  Please
define/enforce rule for topic name and client.id.  (Also, you might have to

Posted by "Michael G. Noll" <mi...@michael-noll.com>.
Many thanks for the clarification, Jun!

Michael

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Michael G. Noll" <mi...@michael-noll.com>.
Ah -- I only tested with dots "."

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Michael G. Noll" <mi...@michael-noll.com>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bhavesh Mistry <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bhavesh Mistry <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bhavesh,

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bhavesh,

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> I have topic name with “.”  So, it is hard to distinguish metric name and
topic

If your topics or hosts have dashes or underscores or your topic has dots
you will have trouble extracting things from JMX.  We provided a patch to
change delimiter character in MBeans and are hoping it gets included in
0.8.2.
See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1481

Otis