Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/24 03:20:48 UTC

Standard goes where? Was: Jakarta Taglibs as part of something bigger?

On 6/14/05, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> So a suggestion was made that Jakarta Taglibs could morph into a part of
> the new WebApp Commons subproject. Not only would this bring it together
> with other webapp-building components, but it has the potential to bring
> fresh blood to Taglibs and revitalise the community.

I just suggested on general@ that in the case of Taglibs moving to a
web-components subproject, that I thought the Standard taglib should
move up to being a subproject, rather than remaining inside the
component subproject.

It's quite disjunct from the other taglibs (as it's a spec
implementation, large, and high profile), and seems that it would do
better as its own subcommunity.

Any thoughts?

Hen

Re: Standard goes where? Was: Jakarta Taglibs as part of something bigger?

Posted by Felipe Leme <ja...@felipeal.net>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

> I just suggested on general@ that in the case of Taglibs moving to a
> web-components subproject, that I thought the Standard taglib should
> move up to being a subproject, rather than remaining inside the
> component subproject.

I suggested it too (in fact, I think you complemented my suggestion in a
reply :-)

> It's quite disjunct from the other taglibs (as it's a spec
> implementation, large, and high profile), and seems that it would do
> better as its own subcommunity.
>
> Any thoughts?

As I said in the General list, I will send a big message with many
voting proposals tomorrow...

[]s,

-- Felipe

Re: Standard goes where? Was: Jakarta Taglibs as part of something bigger?

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On 6/23/05, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/14/05, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > So a suggestion was made that Jakarta Taglibs could morph into a part of
> > the new WebApp Commons subproject. Not only would this bring it together
> > with other webapp-building components, but it has the potential to bring
> > fresh blood to Taglibs and revitalise the community.
>
> I just suggested on general@ that in the case of Taglibs moving to a
> web-components subproject, that I thought the Standard taglib should
> move up to being a subproject, rather than remaining inside the
> component subproject.
>
> It's quite disjunct from the other taglibs (as it's a spec
> implementation, large, and high profile), and seems that it would do
> better as its own subcommunity.
>
> Any thoughts?

I think it would make sense for Standard to stand on its own. While I
agree to some extent with Rahul, I don't really see integration
between the Standard community and the rest of the Taglibs community.
They're really disjoint already, especially the committers. I believe
that Standard will succeed on its own, and I believe the rest of the
tag libraries here would benefit from being part of the proposed new
subproject.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Rahul P Akolkar <ak...@us.ibm.com>.
Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote on 06/23/2005 09:20:48 PM:
<snip/>
> I just suggested on general@ that in the case of Taglibs moving to a
> web-components subproject, that I thought the Standard taglib should
> move up to being a subproject, rather than remaining inside the
> component subproject.
>
> It's quite disjunct from the other taglibs (as it's a spec
> implementation, large, and high profile), and seems that it would do
> better as its own subcommunity.
>
> Any thoughts?

I wonder if we have a silver bullet here. Standard is in a league of its
own, definitely.

I also believe the fact that Standard co-existed with the rest in Taglibs
so far has worked to everybody's benefit. I, for instance, often look at
Standard impls for reference and I believe Standard also benefits from
having more folks lurking around on the lists, some of whom have a primary
focus that is "unstandard".

I think the segregation of Standard is a logical, but slightly unfortunate
side-effect of moving to the proposed subproject (if we do).

-Rahul