Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Wesley Wannemacher <We...@doubleatrailer.com> on 2007/02/13 19:13:53 UTC

RE: Ajax - obtaining a method result

Struts 1 or Struts 2?

Assuming Struts 2, I'll answer as best as I can.

You'll have to code an action around calling this 'method.' For instance,
say the method you want to call is in a class called Foo and the method is
called bar(). If the result of bar() is a String and this result is what
you're looking for, then the pseudo-code would look something like this -

In struts.xml -
<action name="FooCall" class="FooAction" >
	<result>/your/jsp/dir/aJSP.jsp</result>
</action>

In Foo.java -
public class BaseAction extends ActionSupport {
	private String result ;
	public String execute() {
		Foo foo = new Foo();
		String newResult = foo.bar();
		this.setResult(newResult);
	}
	public getResult() {
		return result;
	}
	public setResult(String newResult) {
		this.result = newResult;
	}
}

In aJSP.jsp -
<%@
	taglib uri="/struts-tags" prefix="s"
%><s:property value="result" />

Feel free to criticize if I'm off-base, I have thick skin ;-)

Basically, at this point, you would still need to write your AJAXy code
which would point to http://yourserver/yourWebApp/FooCall.action