Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> on 2007/07/14 16:18:30 UTC

MyFaces 1.2.0 - trunk ?

Should we do it now ?

--
Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

Re: MyFaces 1.2.0 - trunk ?

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the 1.2 being trunk

Will we branch tomahawk and sandbox and make its trunk on the lines of
1.2 versioning and have the new trunk require JSF 1.2 and thus JDK
1.5? I'd be all for that. It would be nice to move off of the 1.4
restrictions.

Re: MyFaces 1.2.0 - trunk ?

Posted by Simon Lessard <si...@gmail.com>.
Of course, MyFaces is a spec implementation so bugs need to be fixed in
order to remain competitive with other providers. What I meant is more
perception-wise. Assuming someone started using MyFaces 1.1.x like one month
ago or so and downloaded the source from SVN, he might feel left out seeing
it being moved to a branche.

The issue is probably going to be bigger with Trinidad/Tomahawk/Tobago
though since they are custom component libraries and is thus free to provide
more "new features". Duplicating the new code is going to work for a while,
but I don't know for how long it should be desirable. Moving new features
from 1.1 to 1.2 will always be possible, but the opposite won't, especially
with the invokeOnComponent feature. It's a potential maintenance nightmare.
Maybe we'll have to stop adding new features to the 1.1 version at some
point? Anyway, that's another issue completely since we are talking about
MyFaces for now.

Regards,

~ Simon

Re: MyFaces 1.2.0 - trunk ?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: MyFaces 1.2.0 - trunk ?

Posted by Simon Lessard <si...@gmail.com>.
I would rather switch to 1.2 now so that new users use 1.2 right away.

In a sense it's going to be better for them since they won't have a
conversion cost later. I'm currently converting an application to JSF
1.2and it's not as easy as dropping new libs in if you don't want to
have any
deprecated usage warnings left in the converted project. Furthermore
JSF 1.2is the version that's part of JEE 5, not JSF
1.1.

Re: MyFaces 1.2.0 - trunk ?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Well,

Re: MyFaces 1.2.0 - trunk ?

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Re: MyFaces 1.2.0 - trunk ?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
yeah, I'll do that now :)

Re: MyFaces 1.2.0 - trunk ?

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: MyFaces 1.2.0 - trunk ?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Looks like we got 7 "+1" votes, well this was not really a vote.
So, since we heard no concerns on that, should we do an "official vote" ?
Or just do it...

Re: MyFaces 1.2.0 - trunk ?

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.
+1