Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Vladimir Popovski <vl...@zadarastorage.com> on 2013/03/21 00:59:46 UTC

How to remove Primary Storage / NPE in Maintenance mode

Hi All,

Is there a way to remove the Primary Storage?

I’m running a clean devcloud on a VM with almost the latest code from the
Master branch (commit ba69ce0c8911eb7186774d2ddbae97483e65d48c from 3/19).

The only UI options I see for 2 Primary Storage instances I’ve added are:

-          Enable Maintenance mode

-          Edit (only allows storage tag edits)

States of both Storage elements are Up (one is NetworkFilesystem, another -
PreSetup). When I select a Maintenance mode it fails with the
NullPointerException. It looks very similar to CLOUDSTACK-1635.

Thanks,

-Vladimir

Re: How to remove Primary Storage / NPE in Maintenance mode

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
so cloudstack should be controlling your storage via the hypervisor. you'll
need to check the health of the storage via the hypervisor. see if youre
able to provision a vm to it.

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 20, 2013, at 4:59 PM, Vladimir Popovski <vl...@zadarastorage.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> Is there a way to remove the Primary Storage?
>

> I’m running a clean devcloud on a VM with almost the latest code from the
> Master branch (commit ba69ce0c8911eb7186774d2ddbae97483e65d48c from 3/19).
>

> The only UI options I see for 2 Primary Storage instances I’ve added are:
>
> -          Enable Maintenance mode
>
> -          Edit (only allows storage tag edits)
>

> States of both Storage elements are Up (one is NetworkFilesystem, another -
> PreSetup). When I select a Maintenance mode it fails with the
> NullPointerException. It looks very similar to CLOUDSTACK-1635.
>

> Thanks,
>
> -Vladimir

If your primary storage were able to successfully transition into maintenance mode, you'd be able to remove it. You'll need a second PS attached to the cluster, so vm's can migrate off the storage that's going into maintenance OR disable the zone and nuke the system vm's power down the guest vm's wait for storage cleanup to run, then try the process of putting the storage into maintenance and removing it.