Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Kyle Gerald Lamkin <Ky...@ibm.com> on 2019/10/29 16:29:34 UTC

CVE-2018-11768 in regards to Solr

Hello Solr Devs,

I'm looking for some information about CVE-2018-11768, a Hadoop vulnerability.
In 7.7.2 Solr ships with Hadoop 2.7.4 which is affected, the closest fixed
version is 2.8.5. Solr 8.x ships with Hadoop 3.2 which is not affected.

I was unable to find an Jira item for this, should I open one for it or is it
not applicable?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

**Kyle (K.G.)  Lamkin**

---

* * *

---
E-mail: [Kyle.Lamkin@ibm.com](mailto:Kyle.Lamkin@ibm.com)

commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org

RE: CVE-2018-11768 in regards to Solr

Posted by Bradley Parker <br...@ca.ibm.com>.
Awesome, thanks for the response Kevin we really appreciate it!

**Bradley Parker**
Security Developer
IBM Security Systems (QRadar)
bradpark@ca.ibm.com

 **IBM  Security **

From the <https://hadoop.apache.org/cve_list.html> page, this looks like it is
only an issue in the fsimage which is server side for the Namenode. I don't
think that CVE-2018-11768 applies to Solr directly.

> CVE-2018-11768 Apache Hadoop HDFS FSImage Corruption
> There is a mismatch in the size of the fields used to store user/group
information between memory and disk representation. This causes the user/group
information to be corrupted across storing in fsimage and reading back from
fsimage.

> This vulnerability fix contains a fsimage layout change, so once the image
is saved in the new layout format you cannot go back to a version that doesn’t
support the newer layout. This means that once 2.7.x users upgraded to the
fixed version, they cannot downgrade to 2.7.x because there is no fixed
version in 2.7.x. We suggest downgrade to 2.8.5 or upper version that contains
the vulnerability fix.

help@lucene.apache.org](mailto:dev-help@lucene.apache.org)

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.
Solr interacts with Hadoop only as a client. (except in integration tests).
From the https://hadoop.apache.org/cve_list.html page, this looks like it
is only an issue in the fsimage which is server side for the Namenode. I