Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2001/03/02 00:33:42 UTC

1.3.19-win32 binaries available for testing

from...

http://dev.apache.org/dist/binaries/apache_1.3.19-win32-with_src-rc2.msi

and

http://dev.apache.org/dist/binaries/apache_1.3.19-win32-no_src-rc2.msi

with and without sources, respectively.  The screens changed significantly
to avoid invalid (goofy) characters in the Server Information screen, please
test carefully and ack if this works for you.  If you get Error 2735 when
leaving the ServerInformation screen - note it won't do that (but it won't
validate the answers, either) in the final release.

Bill

This release also makes it a little clearer on the Customer Information page
that you can install as a service for all users, or for manual startup for
yourself alone.  Please ack/nak if that screen is making any sense.

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>.
On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 05:33:42PM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> http://dev.apache.org/dist/binaries/apache_1.3.19-win32-no_src-rc2.msi

Installs fine on Win2000. Very well done!
What is the "user name" and "company info" used for? Can it be suppressed?
(If I wouldn't expect apache to ignore it, I would have privacy concerns)

  Martin
--
<Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>    |       Fujitsu Siemens
       <ma...@apache.org>              |   81730  Munich,  Germany

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>.
* +1, it installs (and uninstalls!!!) very smoothly (tested on Win2k).
* it leaves some registry keys behind (nothing tragic).
* it leaves the log files and config files behind after uninstall.
  The log files *might* be a problem if they are big, OOTH it's
  nice to preserve them across version upgrades. It's not so good
  to leave the config installed, as a new version might bring an updated
  httpd.conf (possibly with security fixes!) which would not overwrite
  the installed version, right? Maybe, if you preserve it, you might
  rename it to httpd.conf-1.3.19 on uninstall (and remove the
  httpd.default.conf and the srm/access.conf entirely?).

Looks good, feels good, I'd +1 it (if someone with a Win9x tests it too).

Thanks,

  Martin

Posted by Andrew Braund <ab...@mail.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <ad...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <ad...@rowe-clan.net>.
New package rolled and released to http://httpd.apache.org/dist/binaries/win32/

This package should eliminate the mystery '2735' error in _all_ cases.

Bill