Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Brendan van Drempt <Br...@scholastic.com.au> on 2004/05/27 00:27:19 UTC

Subversion and Project Environments (Dev / Test / Prod)

I am in the processing of setting up Subversion to manage the development of
a website.

Setup:
Subversion Repository on Windows Server machine running SVNserve. Windows
development machines running TortoiseSVN client. (soon to add mac
development machines, when we decide on a suitable mac subversion client)

* What is the best way to implement Subversion across my Dev / Test /
Production sites?

* Should each environment be a 'working copy' of the repository, and then
use a client tool to update to particular revisions? (in addition to the
working copies of the developers)

* Should I be using 'tags' to set releases?

Need a bit of clarity here.

Thanks!

Regards,

Brendan van Drempt
Analyst / Programmer
Email: brendan_vandrempt@scholastic.com.au

Re: Are MIME/Types worth the config? (was: Subversion and Project Environments)

Posted by Gary Affonso <gl...@greywether.com>.
On 5/27/04 9:07 AM, "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> wrote:

> Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 01:15, Gary Affonso wrote:
>>> Which leads me to ask...
>>>
>>> Is there any good reason to go to the work of defining auto-properties to
>>> ensure that things like .jar, .jpg, .gif, etc. are all tagged with the
>>> appropriate mime/type?

> In other words, if your website is only served up via a Subversion
> working copy, then, no, there's no reason to bother with the precise
> mime-type settings.  But if you ever want to refer directly to
> Subversion repository URLs, browser presentation will be greatly
> improved for those things.

Ahhhh <nods head> that answers my question.  We aren't providing
browser-based access to the repository so this feature didn't make a lot of
sense to me.  I get it now.  Thanks!

- Gary

Re: Are MIME/Types worth the config? (was: Subversion and Project Environments)

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 01:15, Gary Affonso wrote:
> Which leads me to ask...
>
> Is there any good reason to go to the work of defining auto-properties to
> ensure that things like .jar, .jpg, .gif, etc. are all tagged with the
> appropriate mime/type?
>
> I can't see any benefit to it for web-sites.  As long as the repository is
> properly seeing them as binary, I'm happy.  But maybe I'm missing some
> benefit.

From chapter 7:

Posted by Gary Affonso <gl...@greywether.com>.
Which leads me to ask...

Re: Subversion and Project Environments (Dev / Test / Prod)

Posted by glists <gl...@greywether.com>.