Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by ashish pareek <pa...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/06 11:16:44 UTC

Help in building and running hadoop from eclipse

Hi All,

                 I am trying to learn building  Hadoop  as I have to make
few changes to FShell code . I tried the link given in the
http://www.*wiki*.apache.org/*hadoop*/*Eclipse*Environment but always landed
up in errors.

             Then there was error like .eclipse.template missing ... so I
download it from
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-0.18.3/.eclipse.templates/
               But thing was .classpath in svn link was different from
hadoop 0.18.3 I had offline.
                When I tried to build with .classpath I had offline....
following the steps given in the following video. But still there seems to
be java errors after build liek button cannot be resolved , Tabconfiguration
cannot be resolved etc..

                 But when I tried with .classpath from svn link build was
successful  expect few warnnings. :)

                 Now I want to run in eclispe to trace hadoop to find more
about it.... but when I try to run hadoop-site.xml as java application I get
errors like NUllexception or
                 STRATUP_MSG = build bu UNKNOWN on UNKNOWN time etc and Name
Node shutdown.

Error Message is as follows :::

009-08-05 23:42:00,760 INFO  dfs.NameNode (StringUtils.java:

startupShutdownMessage(464)) - STARTUP_MSG:

/************************************************************

STARTUP_MSG: Starting NameNode

STARTUP_MSG:   host = datanode1/10.0.1.109

STARTUP_MSG:   args = []

STARTUP_MSG:   version = Unknown

STARTUP_MSG:   build = Unknown -r Unknown; compiled by 'Unknown' on Unknown

2009-08-05 23:42:00,806 ERROR dfs.NameNode (NameNode.java:main(843)) -
java.lang.NullPointerException

            at
org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.createSocketAddr(NetUtils.java:130)

            at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.getAddress(NameNode.java:116)

            at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.initialize(NameNode.java:136)

            at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:193)

            at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:179)

            at
org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:830)

            at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:839)

2009-08-05 23:42:00,807 INFO  dfs.NameNode (StringUtils.java:run(479)) -
SHUTDOWN_MSG:

SHUTDOWN_MSG: Shutting down NameNode at datanode1/10.0.1.109

                Can you please help with building and running Hadoop in
eclipse.

Thanks for your percious time.

Ashish.