Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Angel Tsankov <fn...@fmi.uni-sofia.bg> on 2006/02/04 15:02:52 UTC

adding a set of files at once

Why is it not possible to add a set of files (e.g. by include or
exclude mask) at once. I may only add a single file or whole
directory.

blah blah blah

Posted by Rick Gigger <ri...@alpinenetworking.com>.
unsubscribe

Re: adding a set of files at once

Posted by Angel Tsankov <fn...@fmi.uni-sofia.bg>.
>>> Whoops, sorry for the wrong information.
>>
>> It seems that the terminology used with SVN is somewhat different
>> from that of VSS which I have been using. Is there a good
>> explanation of what a versioned directory and the like are?
>
> Sure, take a look at the Subversion book.  It's really quite well
> written, and an online copy is available for free.

Thanks.
Btw, I found how to put several files in the repository at once - it
can be done with checkout, add and commit. Add can take a number of
files to be added to the repo when changes are comitted.

Re: adding a set of files at once

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 2/4/2006 1:20 PM, Angel Tsankov wrote:
>>> Importing does not turn your non-versioned directory into a
>>> versioned  one; rather, it imports the contents of your
>>> non-versioned directory  into the repository and makes no changes
>>> to your local directory. You  then delete (or move out of the way)
>>> your local non-versioned  directory and get a new working copy from
>>> the repository.
>> Whoops, sorry for the wrong information.
>
> It seems that the terminology used with SVN is somewhat different from
> that of VSS which I have been using. Is there a good explanation of
> what a versioned directory and the like are?

Sure, take a look at the Subversion book.  It's really quite well
written, and an online copy is available for free.

Duncan Murdoch

Re: adding a set of files at once

Posted by Angel Tsankov <fn...@fmi.uni-sofia.bg>.

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 4, 2006, at 17:58, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> Importing and adding are different operations.  Importing is what
> you do when you have a non-versioned directory, and you want to
> turn it into a versioned one. [snip]

Importing does not turn your non-versioned directory into a versioned
one; rather, it imports the contents of your non-versioned directory
into the repository and makes no changes to your local directory. You
then delete (or move out of the way) your local non-versioned
directory and get a new working copy from the repository.

> What I think you want to do is to *add* your files.  Somehow
> (through an import or checkout) you get a working copy of a
> directory from the repository [snip]

A checkout is the only way to get a working copy.

There is, however, also the "in-place import" concept which may be
useful:

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#in-place-import

Re: adding a set of files at once

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 2/4/2006 11:33 AM, Angel Tsankov wrote:
>>> Why is it not possible to add a set of files (e.g. by include or
>>> exclude mask) at once. I may only add a single file or whole
>>> directory.
>> Are you using a Cygwin build in a Windows shell?  It might assume
>> the shell expands wildcards, and Windows CMD doesn't do that.  The
>> regular svn build handles wildcards fine.  Or do you mean something
>> different when you say "mask"?
>
> I have Cygwin installed on my system, but I am not using a Cygwin
> build of SVN. In fact, I installed this one:
> http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/29065/svn-1.3.0-setup.exe
>
> Then I created a repository via TortoiseSVN:
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tortoisesvn/TortoiseSVN-1.3.1.5521-svn-1.3.0.msi?download
>
> Then I tried to find out how to add (i.e. import) only some of the
> files in a folder at once. As I could not do it, I downloaded and
> installed RapidSVN:
> http://rapidsvn.org/download/RapidSVN-0.9.0.exe
>
> Unfortunately, I this did not help at all. Then I tried the command
> line interface of SVN:
>
> svn import main.cpp header.h file:///d:/svn_repos/experimental
> svn: Too many arguments to import command
>
> svn import *.h file:///d:/svn_repos/experimental --message ""
> svn: Too many arguments to import command
>
> svn import main.cpp file:///d:/svn_repos/experimental/main.c --message
> ""
> Adding         main.cpp
> Committed revision 1.
>
> And, btw, isn't there any way not to specify the name of a file in the
> URL of the repository when importing it? It is almost always
> redundant.

Importing and adding are different operations.  Importing is what you do
when you have a non-versioned directory, and you want to turn it into a
versioned one.   I can't see that you'd often need to do that for
multiple targets at once.  (In fact, I didn't know that it would accept
a file; I thought it only worked on directories.)

What I think you want to do is to *add* your files.  Somehow (through an
import or checkout) you get a working copy of a directory from the
repository, then put the new files there, and add them.  You won't need
to specify the repository path, because the working copy knows it
(through the .svn files).

Duncan Murdoch

Re: adding a set of files at once

Posted by Angel Tsankov <fn...@fmi.uni-sofia.bg>.