Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Tore Halset <ha...@pvv.ntnu.no> on 2005/12/07 20:33:06 UTC

ReceivedDateTerm

Hello.

I have some code to get messages from an imap server newer than a
given Date using a ReceivedDateTerm. I am porting this code over to
getting messages from james via pop.

Connecting to james, none of the mailes are matched by the
ReceivedDateTerm. My app does not know about james, it only uses
javamail to access james via pop.

Is this a general problem with javamail? Or is there a mail header
missing from the mails in the james mail server?

Regards,
  - Tore.

Re: ReceivedDateTerm

Posted by Tore Halset <ha...@pvv.ntnu.no>.
On Dec 7, 2005, at 20:33, Tore Halset wrote:

> I have some code to get messages from an imap server newer than a
> given Date using a ReceivedDateTerm. I am porting this code over to
> getting messages from james via pop.
>
> Connecting to james, none of the mailes are matched by the
> ReceivedDateTerm. My app does not know about james, it only uses
> javamail to access james via pop.
>
> Is this a general problem with javamail? Or is there a mail header
> missing from the mails in the james mail server?

Found the answer in the manual..

http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/javadocs/com/sun/mail/pop3/
package-summary.html

"POP3 does not provide a "received date", so the getReceivedDate
method will return null. It may be possible to examine other message
headers (e.g., the "Received" headers) to estimate the received date,
but these techniques are error-prone at best."

Regards,
  - Tore.