Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2006/02/21 04:28:56 UTC

TermVector usage

Greets,

KinoSearch 0.05, which for now I'm calling a "loose port" of Lucene,
was published to CPAN a few weeks ago.  It's nice and fast, but
missing some features, most notably multiple segment support and
incremental indexing.  Before I get to that though, I'm adding
excerpting and highlighting.

The version of KinoSearch which preceded the Lucene-based rewrite
also had a highlighter which depended on what were effectively
TermVectors with stored offsets. However, unlike Lucene, these were
stored along with the stored fields.  As I've been preparing to port
all the support apparatus for TermVectors, I've been wondering
whether I shouldn't go back to that.  It sure would be less work to
code up.  Theoretically there ought to be less disk activity, too.

 From following the Lucene lists off and on, I've gotten the
impression that lots of people use TermVectors to feed the
highlighter, but I haven't seen many applications for them besides
that.  LSI-type ideas percolate every once in a while.  Besides
highlighting, how many people are using TermVectors and how are they
using them?

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: TermVector usage

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

On Feb 21, 2006, at 5:39 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> I use term vectors for "more like this" queries, such as the links
> you'll see here:
>
> 	<http://www.rossettiarchive.org/rose/?query=%2B%28%2Bblessed+%
> 2Bdamozel%29+%2B%28archivetype%3Arad%29>

Thanks, Otis and Erik.  (MoreLikeThis is under contrib/similarity.)
Looking at the way MoreLikeThis is implemented, my impression is that
it wouldn't hurt and might help a smidge to store the term vector
with the stored document.

What I don't yet see is a benefit to having all TermVectors reside
side-by-side in the same file.  A full vector-space search which
compares complete document vectors and thus needs to scan through all
TermVectors for each query is the only application I've thought of so
far.  Of course such a beast is impractical for a search engine of
any reasonable size, so you need some method of data reduction.
LSI's decomposition is one way of hacking at that problem, but you
don't do that on the fly at search-time. :)  Another is the heuristic
process applied by the MoreLikeThis class, but MoreLikeThis only
needs a single document's TermVectors.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: TermVector usage

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
I use term vectors for "more like this" queries, such as the links
you'll see here:

	<http://www.rossettiarchive.org/rose/?query=%2B%28%2Bblessed+%
2Bdamozel%29+%2B%28archivetype%3Arad%29>

I am using the MoreLikeThis class.

	Erik

Re: TermVector usage

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.