Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Brett Randall <br...@Endeca.com> on 2010/03/29 03:25:44 UTC

Access to Maven settings for BSF Gump build

In relation to the long-outstanding build failure of BSF: http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-bsf3/jakarta-bsf3/gump_work/build_jakarta-bsf3_jakarta-bsf3.html

I'd like to check the contents of the file /srv/gump/public/workspace/jakarta-bsf3/gump_mvn_settings.xml .  Is that file publicly available, and/or how can I review its contents?  I'm wondering if the Gump local repository location for project builds changed in a way incompatible with the BSF/Gump build some time ago.

Thanks
Brett

Re: Access to Maven settings for BSF Gump build

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 29/03/2010, Brett Randall <br...@endeca.com> wrote:
> In relation to the long-outstanding build failure of BSF: http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-bsf3/jakarta-bsf3/gump_work/build_jakarta-bsf3_jakarta-bsf3.html
>
>  I'd like to check the contents of the file /srv/gump/public/workspace/jakarta-bsf3/gump_mvn_settings.xml .  Is that file publicly available, and/or how can I review its contents?  I'm wondering if the Gump local repository location for project builds changed in a way incompatible with the BSF/Gump build some time ago.

$ ls -l /srv/gump/public/workspace/jakarta-bsf3/gump_mvn_settings.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 gump gump 1127 2010-03-30 16:08
/srv/gump/public/workspace/jakarta-bsf3/gump_mvn_settings.xml

======= cut here ========
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!--
# DO NOT EDIT  DO NOT EDIT  DO NOT EDIT  DO NOT EDIT  DO NOT EDIT  DO
NOT EDIT  DO NOT EDIT
#
# File Automatically Generated by Gump, see http://gump.apache.org/
#
# Generated For : jakarta-bsf3
# Generated At  : 2010-03-30 08:08:02
#
#
# DO NOT EDIT  DO NOT EDIT  DO NOT EDIT  DO NOT EDIT  DO NOT EDIT  DO
NOT EDIT  DO NOT EDIT
-->
<settings>
  <localRepository>/srv/gump/public/workspace/mvnlocalrepo</localRepository><mirrors>
    <mirror>
      <id>gump-central</id>
      <name>Gump proxying central</name>
      <url>http://localhost:8192/maven2</url>
      <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf>
    </mirror>
    <mirror>
      <id>gump-apache.snapshots</id>
      <name>Gump proxying apache.snapshots</name>
      <url>http://localhost:8192/repo/m2-snapshot-repository</url>
      <mirrorOf>apache.snapshots</mirrorOf>
    </mirror>
    <mirror>
      <id>gump-maven2-repository.dev.java.net</id>
      <name>Gump proxying maven2-repository.dev.java.net</name>
      <url>http://localhost:8192/maven/2</url>
      <mirrorOf>maven2-repository.dev.java.net</mirrorOf>

Re: Access to Maven settings for BSF Gump build

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 01/04/2010, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Brett,
>
>  Brett Randall wrote:
>

> > <snip/>
>  >>
>  >> I'd bet that the retroweaver will produce everytime the same thing.
>  >> However, md5sums (ans sha1sum) is generated by the deploy plugin
>  >> automatically and will always validate the deployed jar itself.
>  >>
>  >> - Jörg
>  >>
>  > <snip/>
>  >
>  > For the md5sum I was referring to an md5sum run against .class files
>  > extracted from the retro-weaved JAR, varying from build to build.  On
>  > the bsf-engines module from the 3.x branch, this can be observed by
>  > running the following command twice:
>  >
>  > bsf-engines$ mvn clean install && unzip -p
>  > target/bsf-engines-3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar bsh/engine/BshScriptEngine.class |
>  > md5sum
>  > <snip/>
>  > c6817d078ad972bcf1716e05e4c7f52f  -
>  > bsf-engines$ mvn clean install && unzip -p
>  > target/bsf-engines-3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar bsh/engine/BshScriptEngine.class |
>  > md5sum
>  > <snip/>
>  > 49fb13a50a5c8bbf88823f31ca882680  -
>  >
>  > Not sure what to make of that - is it retroweaver?  Maybe retroweaver
>  > places some datetime related info into the instrumented class-file.

If you compare the classfiles, the last few bytes of each file are
slightly different.
Dunno if this is a datestamp or not.

However, the dates of the class files are also different; this is
probably caused by the repackaging process in the Ant script.

> It have to be retroweaver then..

And Ant.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
sebb wrote:

> On 31/03/2010, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> sebb wrote:
>>
>>  > On 31/03/2010, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
>>

>> [snip]
>>

>>  >> Actually there is not really a "Maven JAR". It simply the default
>>  >>  configuration for Maven's archiver to add the metadata, we turned
>>  >>  that off everywhere in the office.
>>  >
>>  > Huh? What does the last phrase mean?
>>

>> Each plugin that creates a Java archive (jar, ear, war, ...) contains an
>>  archive element in its configuration:
>>
>>  http://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-archiver/#class_archive
>>
>>  Simply set addMavenDescriptor to false
>>

>>  >> So the result of the retroweaver is a perfect artifact.
>>  >
>>  > There is a META-INF directory, but it does not contain any Maven
>>  > properties etc.
>>

>> Exactly what happens when you turn it off ;-)
>
> I think we are talking about different things here.

No, I just pointed out that a JAR is a JAR and even JARs created with Maven
may not have the Maven metadata.

> The jar is currently created by the Ant build script, so does not have
> the Maven descriptor.
>
> AFAICT, changing the addMavenDescriptor setting won't have any effect.

I know.

> So:
> - do we need the Maven descriptor in the jar?

There's no such requirement.

> - if so, how do we add it? Can the build-helper add it?

It's superfluous.

- Jörg

Re: Access to Maven settings for BSF Gump build

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Brett,

Brett Randall wrote:

> <snip/>
>>
>> I'd bet that the retroweaver will produce everytime the same thing.
>> However, md5sums (ans sha1sum) is generated by the deploy plugin
>> automatically and will always validate the deployed jar itself.
>>
>> - Jörg
>>
> <snip/>
>
> For the md5sum I was referring to an md5sum run against .class files
> extracted from the retro-weaved JAR, varying from build to build.  On
> the bsf-engines module from the 3.x branch, this can be observed by
> running the following command twice:
>
> bsf-engines$ mvn clean install && unzip -p
> target/bsf-engines-3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar bsh/engine/BshScriptEngine.class |
> md5sum
> <snip/>
> c6817d078ad972bcf1716e05e4c7f52f  -
> bsf-engines$ mvn clean install && unzip -p
> target/bsf-engines-3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar bsh/engine/BshScriptEngine.class |
> md5sum
> <snip/>
> 49fb13a50a5c8bbf88823f31ca882680  -
>
> Not sure what to make of that - is it retroweaver?  Maybe retroweaver
> places some datetime related info into the instrumented class-file.

It have to be retroweaver then..

> It doesn't matter, just pointing out that this tripped me when I was
> trying to fix the build and test that I was producing the exact same
> artifact with the new build.  It turns out that the artifact will be
> different from build to build without changes, unless I am missing
> something.

That's simply unfortunate. :-/

- Jörg

Re: Access to Maven settings for BSF Gump build

Posted by Brett Randall <ja...@gmail.com>.
<snip/>

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Brett,

Brett Randall wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>> sebb wrote:
>>
>>> On 30/03/2010, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:

[snip]

>>> Sounds great - I did not know about that Maven feature.
>>
>>> I'll give it a try.
>>
>> Hehe, that explains it ;-)
>>
>> With the build helper you can turn any file into a separate artifact -
>> useful e.g. for XML schemas and the like.
>>
>> At least this will ensure that the bsf-engines will be deployed next time
>> also and the process is transparent for Gump.
>>
>> - Jörg

> This is a good outcome and the build is now green on Gump.  I hadn't
> thought of using build-helper but that's a decent option.
>
> I actually had this working on my local with a different approach
> initially suggested by Sebb - changing the primary artifact to jar
> packaging (from pom), then changing the retroweaver execution/output
> so that it fed the merged/weaved classes back into the Maven paths, so
> the normal execution of jar:jar picked them back up and the resulting
> primary artifact was packaged (and later deployed) as normal by Maven.
>  Using build-helper will result in the jar continuing to be built by
> Retroweaver rather than being packaged by Maven.  This probably
> doesn't matter - the JAR just won't look like a Maven JAR, contain the
> metadata etc.

Actually there is not really a "Maven JAR". It simply the default
configuration for Maven's archiver to add the metadata, we turned that off
everywhere in the office. So the result of the retroweaver is a perfect
artifact.

Posted by Brett Randall <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30/03/2010, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Brett,
>

>  Brett Randall wrote:
>
>  > In relation to the long-outstanding build failure of BSF:
>  > http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-bsf3/jakarta-
>  bsf3/gump_work/build_jakarta-bsf3_jakarta-bsf3.html
>  >
>  > I'd like to check the contents of the file
>  > /srv/gump/public/workspace/jakarta-bsf3/gump_mvn_settings.xml .  Is that
>  > file publicly available, and/or how can I review its contents?  I'm
>  > wondering if the Gump local repository location for project builds changed
>  > in a way incompatible with the BSF/Gump build some time ago.
>

> bsf-engines is missing, because it is not deployed.

But it *is* installed as part of the build.xml that downloads the
engines and runs retroweaver on them - have a look earlier in the
build output:

http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-bsf3/jakarta-bsf3/gump_work/build_jakarta-bsf3_jakarta-bsf3.html
<snip>

     [exec] [INFO] [install:install-file {execution: default-cli}]
     [exec] [INFO] Installing
/srv/gump/public/workspace/jakarta-bsf3/bsf-engines/target/bsf-engines-3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
to /home/gump/.m2/repository/org/apache/bsf/bsf-engines/3.0-SNAPSHOT/bsf-engines-3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Brett,

Brett Randall wrote:

> In relation to the long-outstanding build failure of BSF:
> http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-bsf3/jakarta-
bsf3/gump_work/build_jakarta-bsf3_jakarta-bsf3.html

> I'd like to check the contents of the file
> /srv/gump/public/workspace/jakarta-bsf3/gump_mvn_settings.xml .  Is that
> file publicly available, and/or how can I review its contents?  I'm
> wondering if the Gump local repository location for project builds changed
> in a way incompatible with the BSF/Gump build some time ago.

bsf-engines is missing, because it is not deployed. Therefore it is also