Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2003/09/29 19:09:48 UTC

Re: [digester][PROPOSAL] optional dependencies

robert burrell donkin wrote:

> i think that it's important that digester retains the smallest
> possible set of core dependencies. but i'd like to be able to supply
> users (who need this functionality) with more exotic toys such as
> regular expression based pattern matchers based on ORO or regexp. i
> think that the best way to go forward would be adopt the strategy that
> ant uses and separate out core dependencies from optional ones. the
> basic, default configuration should run with only the core dependencies.

+1.

The core is currently dependent on beanutils, collections, and logging.
That's a list I would prefer not to extend.

> i'd like to concentrate these optional dependencies under the
> org.apache.commons.digester.optional package. i'd also like to
> structure the build so that no class in core can depend on any in
> optional. i'd also like to put these classes into a src/optional-java
> directory (rather than src/java).

+1, parallel to the new examples directory.

> i'm not sure whether it would be best to distribute a single digester
> jar or whether we should ship two jars.

Ant ended up with two jars in the same situation, and I think that's
probably a reasonable approach.

> your comments please :)
>
> - robert

Craig