Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by 殷芳玺 <yi...@kuaishou.com> on 2019/10/22 10:39:20 UTC

It is necessary to backport ZOOKEEPER-3104 to branch-3.4

Hi, Folks:

ZOOKEEPER-3104 is a critical issue for data inconsistency. The risk also exists in 3.4 branch.

In one of our 3.4.13 clusters, the data inconsistency happens for many times.

After digging some transaction logs and snapshot, we believe that ZOOKEEPER-3104<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-3104> is the main risk to contributes to our data inconsistency.

The risk probability maybe higher than we can consider in real product environment.  The serialization of big DataTree may leads to a big risk time window in the high writing traffic situation. Any failure during the risk time window would cause the data inconsistency.

The data inconsistency is almost unacceptable in zookeeper semantic.

This issue is already fixed in 3.6. But I think it is very necessary to backport ZOOKEEPER-3104<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-3104> to branch-3.4, especially in the situation that the migration from 3.4 to 3.5 actually take more effort to evaluate the compatibility risk in real product environment.

I have already opened an issue [ZOOKEEPER-3589](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-3589) and submit a github pull request https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/1123 to fix it.

So I suggest to accept the pull request and release it in 3.4.16. This fix would make branch-3.4 more robust and fully-fledged.

Thanks!

Best regards

Pierre Yin

答复: It is necessary to backport ZOOKEEPER-3104 to branch-3.4

Posted by 殷芳玺 <yi...@kuaishou.com>.
Hi, Enrico

Great !

Expect any feedback !

Thanks

Best Regards

Pierre

________________________________
Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Il mer 23 ott 2019, 04:53 殷芳玺 <yi...@kuaishou.com> ha scritto:

> Hi,Norbert
>

> Great !
>
> !n my personal opinion, ZOOKEEPER-3104 backport should be necessary before
> 3.4 EOL.
>
> Zookeeper 3.4 is widely used in industry.  Any known critical issues
> should be fixed before its EOL.

Sure

> Data consistency is crucial for zookeeper.

Sure

> Code review comments are welcome for the pull request. Hope it be refined
> and merged to branch-3.4 upstream sooner.
>

> https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/1123

Thank you for working on it
I am reviewing

Enrico