Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Raja <ye...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/27 17:03:00 UTC

Geo Spatial queries

Hi,

I have been using Ignite to store Geo Spatial data, index it and query it.

Till now my need was only to query the data by a bounding box and Ignite has
been great for that type of need.

Please see the link below for example of bounding box query

https://www.gridgain.com/resources/blog/geospatial-queries-apache-ignite
<https://www.gridgain.com/resources/blog/geospatial-queries-apache-ignite>

Now I want to query the spatial data within a given radius of a geometry and
many other ways

Please see below for functions/methods PostGIS supports out of the box to
query spatial data

http://postgis.net/docs/reference.html
<http://postgis.net/docs/reference.html>

Wonder if ignite supports other ways of querying spatial data other than by
bounding box.

Appreciate if you can provide me a link to documentation or samples which
helps to understand different ways to query spatial data.

Thanking you
Raja

Re: Geo Spatial queries

Posted by Raja <ye...@gmail.com>.
Sergi,

Thanks again. The approach you suggested worked like a charm.

Re: Geo Spatial queries

Posted by Raja <ye...@gmail.com>.
Sergi,

Wonderful. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I wasn't aware of
QuerySqlFunction. Thanks again.
Will try this approach and will reply with my findings.

Raja

Re: Geo Spatial queries

Posted by Sergi Vladykin <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The only way to perform effective search with spatial index is searching
for intersection of bounding boxes. Thus most probably you will need to
apply a two step approach:

1. Find everything by bounding box intersection for a fast rough search
over index.
2. Filter the result with exact matching function.

For example:

SELECT ...
   FROM my_table t
WHERE t.coord && ?
      AND my_search_predicate( t.coord , ? )

Where `my_search_predicate` is your custom function [1] which in turn will
utilize all the available geospatial API of JTS Suite [2].

[1]
https://ignite.apache.org/releases/1.8.0/javadoc/org/apache/ignite/cache/query/annotations/QuerySqlFunction.html
[2]
https://github.com/locationtech/jts/blob/master/doc/JTS%20Developer%20Guide.pdf