Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/27 19:02:28 UTC

Fwd: Lucene 2.0.0 release available

Below is a recent message from the Java dev list for Lucene.  As it states,
this is mostly a bugfix release against the 1.9 code.

The development path that's been suggested is that we develop the
1.9release on the
1.1 Framework and that we would cut over to the 2.0 Framework with the
2.0Lucene release.  I believe this is fine, but we need to begin
porting the
Java 2.0 release soon.  The Java 1.9 release was considered complete some
time last fall.  The time divide between the Java release and our C# port is
growing and is getting longer.

Not to take away from the 1.9 efforts on the 1.1 Framework, I'm going to
proceed on porting the Java 2.0 release to C# under the 2.0 Framework.  If
there are a substantial number of bugfixes in the 2.0 release, we should
make use of that as well.

Questions or comments welcome.

cheers,
jeff r.

Subject: Lucene 2.0.0 release available
Date: Samstag 27 Mai 2006 05:57
From: Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org

Release 2.0.0 of Lucene is now available from:

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/java/

This is mostly a bugfix release from release 1.9.1. Note however that
deprecated 1.x features have now been removed. Any code that compiles
against Lucene 1.9.1 without deprecation warnings should work without
further changes with any 2.x release.

The detailed change log is at:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/tags/lucene_2_0_0/CHANGES.txt

Doug

Re: Lucene 2.0.0 release available

Posted by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com>.
I don't want to detract from the work with the 1.9 release, but I do need to
work forward with the 2.0 Framework.  Since Lucene 1.9 is based on the
1.1Framework, I would be starting from scratch with a
2.0 Framework port.  Seems like the recent Lucene 2.0 release is a good
place to start.

As far as the differences between 1.9 and 2.0, there is a changelist from
the Java community for the version-to-version difference.  I'm not sure how
similar the Java changelist is relative to the C# 1.9 code and any ported
version of Lucene 2.0.  Aside from that, there are the differences that are
manifested due to the 1.1 to 2.0 Framework transition.

I have no desire to see this thing spin off the way other efforts have in
the past.  When the community is ready to migrate to the 2.0 release and
migrate to the 2.0 .Net Framework, I will hopefully be able to contribute
more effectively at that time.

-- jeff

Posted by Michael Mitiaguin <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com>.
I understand your frustration, but if the community is not reaching out to
participate, then the approach needs to improve.  I'm certain the ASF can
help, but the logistical stuff has to be there.  For example, we need the
code base under version control and the how for participation needs to be
spelled out.  I'm not an open source community guru, but my participation on
other projects has certainly increased because I understood what I could do
and how to go about it.  Right now, our sales pitch consists of "please
help" and it's not moving anyone to action.  Just a suggestion, but maybe a
more granular list of what's needed to finish 1.9 might improve
participation.

As for my own participation, I have cycles to put into review, but not with
the 1.1 Framework.  I have other projects that rely on Lucene.Net and those
projects use the 2.0 Framework, so strictly speaking for myself, I have an
interest in that side of the equation.  It doesn't help the crowd with the
1.9 release, but neither does the 1.9 release help me in my short-term
needs.  I've run the 1.4.3 version of Lucene.Net under both the
1.1Framework and the
2.0 Framework, and the differences just in the Framework code are not
insubstantial.

It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing, top-down directive approach.  For
as many people as there are on the 1.1 Framework, I've talked to plenty
others who have migrated to the 2.0 Framework.  For us, the sooner we can
get the latest release up and running, the better.

Posted by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com>.
George -

Posted by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com>.