Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Samanth Athrey <sa...@azikewe.com> on 2003/11/22 09:49:30 UTC

Problem in deploying struts app in production environment. Pls help

Hello,
Am using struts1.1, tomcat 4.1.27. During development there was no
problem. But when the same was deployed on th production server, not a
single page was displayed correctly. Struts code is displayed as it is.
When I click on a link, the .do page it says cannot be displayed.

All the jar files are in place and the production environment is a
replica of my development envi. Is there something that am missing here?
Pls help.

Regards,
Samanth Athrey

Re: Problem in deploying struts app in production environment. Pls help

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Samanth Athrey wrote:
> Hello,
> Am using struts1.1, tomcat 4.1.27. During development there was no
> problem. But when the same was deployed on th production server, not a
> single page was displayed correctly. Struts code is displayed as it is.
> When I click on a link, the .do page it says cannot be displayed.
>
> All the jar files are in place and the production environment is a
> replica of my development envi. Is there something that am missing here?
> Pls help.
>

> Regards,
> Samanth Athrey

Recheck all of the steps described here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/installation.html

especially setting up the struts controller servlet in web.xml:

"Modify the WEB-INF/web.xml file for your web application to include a
<servlet> element to define the controller servlet, and a
<servlet-mapping> element to establish which request URIs are mapped to
this servlet. Use the WEB-INF/web.xml file from the Struts example
application for a detailed example of the required syntax."

Phil

RE: Problem in deploying struts app in production environment. Pls help

Posted by David Friedman <hu...@ix.netcom.com>.
We're missing key details....

1. Go to the Tomcat manager (often http://hostname:8080/manager/html/list)
application and make sure it is listed.  If it isn't shown, you haven't
deployed it correctly.  Stop/restart Tomcat. If it is still not shown, check
that you either deployed it directly into Tomcat's webapps/ folder for it to
be seen on tomcat startup OR that you edited the server.xml file to ADD the
context entry pointing to the directory used by your production
copy/deployment.

2. Is there a regular web server (Apache httpd?) passing the requests onto
Tomcat?  If so, you might have to edit the Apache httpd's workers.properties
or workers2.properties files to ensure it passes that context through to
Tomcat.

3. Do you have all the libraries you need in TOMCAT_HOME/common/ and
TOMCAT_HOME/shared on your production server as you do on your test server?

If all of the above is set, you should see startup messages in your log
files on both a good context startup as well as on a bad context startup.

Regards,
David