Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com> on 2001/12/05 11:44:06 UTC

log4j warnings

When I run cactus tests I'm seeing these warnings

log4j:WARN Failed to set property [conversionPattern] to value "%r [%t] %-5p
%c{2} %x - %m %n". object is not an instance of declaring class
log4j:WARN Failed to set property [append] to value "false". object is not
an instance of declaring class
log4j:WARN Failed to set property [file] to value "cactus_server.log".
object is not an instance of declaring class
log4j:WARN File option not set for appender [cactus].
log4j:WARN Are you using FileAppender instead of ConsoleAppender?

I'm using a standard log_server.properties file which looks like this

log4j.appender.cactus=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.appender.cactus.File=cactus_server.log
log4j.appender.cactus.Append=false
log4j.appender.cactus.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.cactus.layout.ConversionPattern=%r [%t] %-5p %c{2} %x - %m %n
log4j.category.org.apache.cactus=DEBUG, cactus
log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, cactus

The log file is being re-created each time (so the file name is being set
and append is being set to false each time).

Anybody know what the warnings are about?

Thanks,

Kevin Jones
Developmentor
www.develop.com

RE: log4j warnings

Posted by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com>.
> BTW, as no directories are mentionned in the log4j properties file for
> location of output log files, they will go where each side of the
> application is started :
> - the client side log is located, as you said, in the directory from where
> you started the test
> - the server side log is located in the directory from where you
> started the
> server.

That's interesting. I'm seeing the server log file where I start the test
(although that could be considered the same as the directory where I started
the server, it's where I run the ant script), and no client log file at all!

> You cant try :
> * to set the debug mode on log4j : log4j.debug=true (in the
> cactus_server.log properties file). It will generate a debug log file.
> * to browse the log4j archive as this seems related to log4j and if you
> don't the answer post the question on the log4j user list
>
> However, I believe that once you have log4j debugging on, it will
> be easier
> to find out what's wrong.
> Thanks

Thanks Vincent, I'll try these,