Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Murray Cumming <Mu...@BetaResearch.de> on 2001/09/03 09:37:50 UTC

Re: Changing include to include/xercesc - Summary and Vote

re-posting:

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com

Re: Changing include to include/xercesc - Vote Results

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Murray Cumming" <Mu...@BetaResearch.de> writes:

> Here's a list of votes from my mail archive, with the most recent votes
> first:
>
> Martin Kalen: -1
> Bob Vaughn: 0
> Arnold Curt: -0
> John Mark Newton +1
> Olivier Schmitt: +1
> Jason E. Stewart +1
> Hans Silvisberg: +1
> J.J. Merelo: -1
> Gary Gale: +1
> Erik Rydgren: -1
> Peter A. Volchek: -1
> Steve Hespelt: 1
> Christopher Dam Brunn: 1
> Jesse Pelton: +0
> David Adams: -1 (said 0, but said 'No')
> Murray Cumming: +1
> Tinny Ng: 0
>
> Totals:
> -1: 5
> 0: 4
> +1: 8
> Simple Total: +3
>
> The only list of committers that I have is here:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xerces-c-dev&m=99805694327734&w=2
> It doesn't look like any committer apart form Tinny Ng actually voted.

I'm a committer via Xerces-P.

jas.

Changing include to include/xercesc - Vote Results

Posted by Murray Cumming <Mu...@BetaResearch.de>.
[...]

I extracted these votes from paragraphs of text, and I am capable of
human error, so feel free to do your own counts.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com

"Jason E. Stewart" wrote:

> "Murray Cumming" <Mu...@BetaResearch.de> writes:

> > > The result is as it has been all along. No one but you is really fired
> > > up over this issue. If you want a vote summary, go through the archive
> > > and count it, and write it up here and if it looks good, threaten to
> > > start committing files unless people respond...
> >
> > I assumed that the guy who started the vote would count the vote. He
> > probably has a better idea than me about who's vote counts. Mine
> > doesn't, and I don't have cvs commit rights.
>
> Yes, but....
>
> Tinny has already said he's agnostic about this topic, so it's
> unlikely he's going to do much.
>
> I'm in favor of the changes, but I'm also too busy to do much (like
> tallying votes).
>
> On the other hand, I do have commit priveleges.
>
> So...
>
> My suggestion stands:
>
> * count the votes, and print us a summary with email addresses and how
>   they voted (Tinny wanted to open this up to all Xerces users, so
>   let's give that a try).
>
> * what are the vote rules?? Can't have more than Y -1's?
>
> * if favorable we need to start the discussion of how to implement the
>   changes. I believe there where two ideas, CVS repos fiddling, and
>   bulk remove, bulk add.
>
> jas.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc@usa.net

Re: Changing include to include/xercesc - Summary and Vote

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Tinny Ng" <tn...@ca.ibm.com> writes:

> So depends on the type of "Action Items" this issue belongs to, it
> is either classified as consensus (i.e. no vetos) or majority vote
> (i.e. +1s > -1s).  I think this "changeing include" issue either
> belongs to "Showstoppers" or "Product changes" category and thus
> should be subject to lazy consensus.  Since we have limited number
> of committers and we initially opened this vote to all users, we can
> count all users' vote.  If there is any veto, and if you disagree
> with the veto, you should lobby the person who cast the veto.  Until
> all vetos are resolved, then we can move on from there.

Next time we feel a vote is required, I think that this should be
decided *before* the vote, yes? Then we can point out to people what
the significance of voting -1 really is, yes?

Ok. So my advice for proceeding is that Murray make all the necessary
changes to Xerces, and provide me with a working source tarball. I
will put it on the WWW site in the experimental/ section.

At that point, Murray can indicate *exactly* what people need to do
that is different from what they currently do, *and* they can download
it and test it.

Then we discuss it.

jas.

Re: Changing include to include/xercesc - Summary and Vote

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Arnaud Le Hors" <le...@us.ibm.com> writes:

> "Jason E. Stewart" wrote:
> >
> > I believe that Tinny indicated that since he opened the vote to all
> > developers, *any* -1 vote is a veto.
>
> Just so you know, Tinny is probably too shy to mention it but you should
> have written:
>
> I believe that Tinny indicated that since SHE opened the vote to all
> developers, *any* -1 vote is a veto.
>
> Nope, this is not a male only project. :-)

Thanks Arnaud, my bad assumption. I'm sorry Tinny for being
chauvenistic.

Cheers,
jas.

Re: Changing include to include/xercesc - Summary and Vote

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
"Jason E. Stewart" wrote:

> I believe that Tinny indicated that since he opened the vote to all
> developers, *any* -1 vote is a veto.

Just so you know, Tinny is probably too shy to mention it but you should
have written:

I believe that Tinny indicated that since SHE opened the vote to all
developers, *any* -1 vote is a veto.

Nope, this is not a male only project. :-)
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM, XML Standards Strategy Group / W3C AC Rep.

Re: Changing include to include/xercesc - Summary and Vote

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.

Re: Changing include to include/xercesc - Experimental tarball

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Murray Cumming" <Mu...@BetaResearch.de> writes:

> Here's a tarball of a Xerces-C++ with the discussed changes:
> http://www.murrayc.com/temp/xercesc_sane_includes.tar.gz
> Apparently I'm supposed to upload this to the 'experimental folder'.
> Maybe somebody could do this or tell me where that folder is.

Done. Plus I added your email as a README:

http://xml.apache.org/dist/xerces-c/experimental/

I'll give it try. Thanks Murray!
jas.

Changing include to include/xercesc - Experimental tarball

Posted by Murray Cumming <Mu...@BetaResearch.de>.
Here's a tarball of a Xerces-C++ with the discussed changes:
http://www.murrayc.com/temp/xercesc_sane_includes.tar.gz
Apparently I'm supposed to upload this to the 'experimental folder'.
Maybe somebody could do this or tell me where that folder is.

I expect that we still need to make minor include path changes to
project files such as the MS Visual C++ and Borland project files, but I
don't have the setup for that.

Here's a recap:

What does this give you?
- You may now do this:
  #include "xercesc/somefolder/someheader.h"
  instead of this:
  #include "somefolder/someheader.h"
- This should prevent clashes with headers of the same name, as well as
making your code clearer.

What do you need to do differently?
- Either
  a) Change your #include lines to contain 'xercesc/'. This is the best
choice in the long term.
  or b) Change the include path in your build files/projects:
       - if your include path is e.g.
/home/murrayc/xercescdownload/include,
         then change it to
         /home/murrayc/xercescdownload/include/xerces.
       - if your include path is /usr/local/include then change it to
         /usr/local/include/xercesc.
- Be careful if using /usr/include. With gcc, you probably shouldn't
specify this yourself because it is an implict include path, and
specifying it seems to override other implicit include paths.
- This will be supereasy in future if we provide a command-line script
which our build files can call to get the appropriate include and
linking arguments.

What changes were made to achieve this?
- The src directory was renamed to xercesc.
- Makefile.incl files were changed to copy into ../include/xercesc
instead od ../include
- Makefile.incl files were changed to use the appropriate include path.
- All #includes in the code were changed to use "xerces/" where
necessary.

How will we integrate these changes again later:
- Just rename xercesc back to src, create a diff, apply the diff to the
up-to-date code, and rename src to xercesc.
- The changes are simple and they are in parts of the files which are
unlikely to be touched by other work.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc@usa.net

Murray Cumming wrote:

> Tinny Ng wrote:
> >
> > According to your summary of count, if we count committers votes only,
> > then we don't have any vetos, but we also don't have enough 3 binding +1
> > votes.  If we count all users' votes, we have enough 3 +1 votes, but then
> > there are -1s as well ....
> >
> > Anyway, I think Jason's suggestion sounds good.  Put the source tar in the
> > experimental folder and let people play with it for a couple of months.
> > Set a deadline for testing period.  If no complaints, then put into CVS
> > later after the deadline ....
>
> OK. I will do that. Thank you.
>
> I just asked, because I thought that you were saying that I had to do
> some more lobbying. Nevermind.
>
> > Tinny
> >
> > Murray Cumming wrote:

> > > Are there any vetos?
> > > == Are there any -1s from committers?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Murray Cumming
> > > www.murrayc.com
> > > murrayc@usa.net

> Murray Cumming
> www.murrayc.com
> murrayc@usa.net

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc@usa.net

Re: Changing include to include/xercesc - Summary and Vote

Posted by Murray Cumming <Mu...@BetaResearch.de>.
Tinny Ng wrote:

> According to your summary of count, if we count committers votes only,
> then we don't have any vetos, but we also don't have enough 3 binding +1
> votes.  If we count all users' votes, we have enough 3 +1 votes, but then
> there are -1s as well ....
>
> Anyway, I think Jason's suggestion sounds good.  Put the source tar in the
> experimental folder and let people play with it for a couple of months.
> Set a deadline for testing period.  If no complaints, then put into CVS
> later after the deadline ....

OK. I will do that. Thank you.

I just asked, because I thought that you were saying that I had to do
some more lobbying. Nevermind.

> Tinny
>
> Murray Cumming wrote:
>
> > Tinny Ng wrote:
> >
> > > If there is any veto, and if you disagree
> > > with the veto, you should lobby the person who cast the veto.  Until
> > > all vetos are resolved, then we can move on from there.
> > >
> > > Tinny
> >
> > Are there any vetos?
> > == Are there any -1s from committers?
> >
> > --
> > Murray Cumming
> > www.murrayc.com
> > murrayc@usa.net

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc@usa.net

Re: Changing include to include/xercesc - Summary and Vote

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Tinny Ng" <tn...@ca.ibm.com> writes:

> According to your summary of count, if we count committers votes only,
> then we don't have any vetos, but we also don't have enough 3 binding +1
> votes.  If we count all users' votes, we have enough 3 +1 votes, but then
> there are -1s as well ....
>
> Anyway, I think Jason's suggestion sounds good.  Put the source tar in the
> experimental folder and let people play with it for a couple of months.
> Set a deadline for testing period.  If no complaints, then put into CVS
> later after the deadline ....

Perfect. Thanks Tinny. The testing period with a deadline, with a new
round of (possible) complaints is very useful.

jas.

Re: Changing include to include/xercesc - Summary and Vote

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.

Posted by Murray Cumming <Mu...@BetaResearch.de>.

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.
"Jason E. Stewart" wrote:

> * what are the vote rules?? Can't have more than Y -1's?

Here is the guideline from Apache: http://xml.apache.org/decisions.html

                Decision Making

                 All Developers are encouraged to participate in decisions,
but the
                 decision itself is made by those that have Committer status
in the
                 Project. In other words, the Project is a "Minimum Threshold
                 Meritocracy".

                 Any Developer may vote on any issue or action item. However,
the
                 only binding votes are those cast by a Committer. If the vote
is about a
                 change to the source code or documentation and the primary
author is
                 a Developer and not a Commiter, the primary author of what is
being
                 changed may also cast a binding vote on that issue.

                 The act of voting carries certain obligations. Voting members
are not
                 only stating their opinion, they are also agreeing to help do
the work.

                 Each vote can be made in one of three flavors:

                      +1 - "Yes," "Agree," or "the action should be
performed." On
                      some issues this is only binding if the voter has tested
the action
                      on their own system(s).
                      +/-0 - "Abstain," "no opinion". An abstention may have
                      detrimental effects if too many people abstain.
                      -1 - "No." On issues where consensus is required, this
vote
                      counts as a veto. All vetos must contain an explanation
of why
                      the veto is appropriate. Vetos with no explanation are
void. No
                      veto can be overruled. If you disagree with the veto,
you should
                      lobby the person who cast the veto. Voters intending to
veto an
                      action item should make their opinions known to the
group
                      immediately so that the problem can be remedied as early
as
                      possible.

                 An action requiring consensus approval must receive at least
3
                 binding +1 votes and no binding vetos. An action requiring
majority
                 approval must receive at least 3 binding +1 votes and more +1

                 votes than -1 votes. All other action items are considered to
have lazy
                 approval until somebody votes - 1, after which point they are
decided
                 by either consensus or majority vote, depending on the type
of action
                 item.

                Action Items

                All decisions revolve around "Action Items." Action Items
consist of the
                following:

                     Long Term Plans
                     Short Term Plans
                     Release Plan
                     Release Testing
                     Showstoppers
                     Product Changes

                 Long Term Plans

                  Long term plans are simply announcements that group members
are working on
                  particular issues related to the Project. These are not
voted on, but Developers
                  who do not agree with a particular plan, or think that an
alternative plan would be
                  better, are obligated to inform the group of their feelings.

                 Short Term Plans

                  Short term plans are announcements that a developer is
working on a particular
                  set of documentation or code files with the implication that
other developers
                  should avoid them or try to coordinate their changes.

                 Release Plan

                  A release plan is used to keep all Developers aware of when
a release is desired,
                  who will be the release manager, when the repository will be
frozen to create a
                  release, and other assorted information to keep Developers
from tripping over each
                  other. Lazy majority decides each issue in a release plan.

                 Release Testing

                  After a new release is built, it must be tested before being
released to the public.
                  Majority approval is required before the release can be
made.

                 Showstoppers

                  Showstoppers are issues that require a fix be in place
before the next public
                  release. They are listed in the status file in order to
focus special attention on
                  these problems. An issue becomes a showstopper when it is
listed as such in the
                  status file and remains so by lazy consensus.

                 Product Changes

                  Changes to the products of the Project, including code and
documentation, will
                  appear as action items in the status file. All product
changes to the currently
                  active repository are subject to lazy consensus.

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.

Posted by Murray Cumming <Mu...@BetaResearch.de>.

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.