Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by javaone <ja...@internetvillages.net> on 2000/04/24 05:00:37 UTC

Default Channel Open, Screen hangs there

Dear All

I encounter the following problem when I tried to run the james mail for =
the first time.  Any idea on how to fix this or do I miss any =
configuration.

C:\jmail\bin>run
Avalon runner
parser            : org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
configurationPath : ../conf/
logFile           : ../logs/avalon.log
libPath           : ../lib/
blockPath         : ./blocks/

Scanning jars for new Blocks...
  Found new jar: Avalon.jar
  Installing Avalon configuration file into ../conf/ from template

  Found new jar: JAMES.jar
  Installing JAMES configuration file into ../conf/ from template

Templates installed in ../conf/
If you need to fill templates with values or overwrite default you can =
do it now
 and then press then Enter to continue

Reading configuration
Avalon 2.2-dev

2000.04.24 10:12:07 993 Channel default opened

The screen just hangs here, and nothing happen. I am wating for the =
Avalon server is running message, but no message come out.

-Scott

Re: Default Channel Open, Screen hangs there

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.
On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 11:00:37AM +0800, javaone wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I encounter the following problem when I tried to run the james mail for =
> the first time.  Any idea on how to fix this or do I miss any =
> configuration.

> Templates installed in ../conf/
> If you need to fill templates with values or overwrite default you can =
> do it now
>  and then press then Enter to continue

It seems that you haven't changed anything on the JAMES.conf.xml; you
should. For example: the dns server, root's password.

> Reading configuration
> Avalon 2.2-dev
>

> 2000.04.24 10:12:07 993 Channel default opened
>
> The screen just hangs here, and nothing happen. I am wating for the =
> Avalon server is running message, but no message come out.

It's normal; it's not hung.
But since you are using Windows, I guess you'd be stuck with an
unable-to-be-closed DOS terminal.

To see some actions, you could telnet to ports: 25, 110, or 4555.

BTW, I think that the error message above (the line: "...need to fill
templates..." is too XML-ish. When the first time I read that, I was
wondering, hmmm.. this mail server needs a template. What is it for? I never
heard any mail server which returns html when it got telnetted. The message
should be "...need to fill the configuration file (i.e.: JAMES.conf.xml)
with values..."; so that it would be more comprehensible.

Oki
ps: the server runs well now, gotta try MD5 on user repository; yummy
yum-yum...

--
         On the day that you were born the angels got together,
         And decided to create a dream come true,

RE: Default Channel Open, Screen hangs there