Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2006/08/21 05:02:01 UTC

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Since the nightly builds for 2.0.0 are only generating JARs, I posted
the latest snapshots.

* http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/2.0.0/

I'm planning to tie up the loose ends on the documentation, followup
on the taglib docs proposal, and then go ahead and tag 2.0.0.

Hopefully, for 2.0.1, we can have an implementation of the new API, so
that we can start phasing that in as the default API for 2.1.

The snapshot also includes a full copy of the documentation that I
assembled by hand. I used httrack to snag a copy of the cwiki website,
fudged the other website references to point to the local copy, and
zipped it up. Obviously, we'd want to find a way to create a full site
distribution automatically, but this approach should at least get us
through the day.

-Ted.

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.
Just found it...
http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/xdoclet/browse/XJD-41

Should be in xdoclet's trunk/HEAD...

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 9/24/06, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> OK, Struts 2.0.0 is tagged and posted, and Struts 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT is
> open for business. :)

Congrats!  :)

--
Wendy

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Is the champagne bundled in this version? There must be a celebratory
drink somewhere! :)

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Wendy, that would be great.

> On 9/18/06, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > If someone wants to tag r447072 and deploy the Maven artifcats, that
> > would be fine with me. The distributions uploaded to builds/struts
> > were run as version 2.0.0, and we would just need to rename the files.
> > Otherwise, I'll try again on Sunday morning.
>
> Ted, are you still planning on Sunday morning?  If so I'll make sure
> to be around to help if you need it.
>
> For MyFaces 1.1.4, something that worked well was staging the release
> in people.a.o/builds/myfaces/core-1.1.4/m2-staging-repository.  From
> there, after the vote, it was just "cp -r ..." to put it in
> m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository.
>
> --
> Wendy

HTH, Ted.
* http://www.husted.com/struts/

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
It's not about the lingering issues, it's about signing the release
and deploying the Maven artifacts, and all that. I've never actually
done that part of it myself. By the time I got all the the Javadoc and
wikidoc stuff sorted out yesterday, I just ran out of steam :(

On 9/18/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> [...]
> out.  The code is looking good, so thanks to everyone who is helping
> push this out.
>
> Don
>
> Ted Husted wrote:
> > I've updated the Struts 2.0.0 snapshot distribution based on revision
> > r447072 (thanks Toby!).
> >
> > I would have tagged it, but I still don't understand everything that's
> > involved in signing and deploying the distribution once it is tagged,
> > and I didn't have time to review it all again today.
> >
> > As it stands, the docs part of the distribution requires surgery
> > before we can post it. There are three complications
> >
> > 1) We don't have a s2 site subproject, and the struts-current
> > subproject is doing double duty.
> > 2) The documentation is not under subversion but being autoexported to
> > HTML from a wiki
> > 3) We need to translate the JARs for Java 4.
> >
> > As to 1, I promoted the struts-core to be the root docs subdirectory
> > and moved over the various apidocs. That involves something like
> >
> > * Extract assembly to a root drive (\struts-2.0.0)
> > * rename docs as temp
> > * create a new docs folder
> > * move temp/struts-api/apidocs to docs/api-apidoc
> > * move temp/struts-core/apidocs to docs/core-apidocs
> > * move temp/struts-extra/apidocs to docs/extras-apidocs
> > * move xwork-apidocs from temp to docs
> > * move temp/struts-core/ to docs/
> > * delete temp
> >
> > To obtain the documention, the simplest solution I have found is to
> > use the FireFox Spiderzilla plugin to create a local copy of the
> > website and include that in the distribution
> >
> > * Use SpiderZilla, httrack, or equivalent to create a copy of the
> > website at /struts-2.0.0/docs/WW starting from
> > http://cwiki.apache.org/WW/home.html
> > * Using TextEdit or equivalent, search and replace any references in
> > any HTML files under docs to http://cwiki.apache.org/WW/home.html to
> > the local equivalent (WW\cwiki.apache.org\WW)
> >
> > Another approach would be to setup a cron job on brutus to ZIP up the
> > autoexport files. Then a script could download and extract the
> > archive. Unfortunatley, right now, old copies of autoexported pages
> > are not being removed from the export after they are deleted or
> > renamed. I believe the plugin is suppose to clear the target directory
> > if we force an export, but that that is not happening right now.
> >
> > As to the Java 4 translation, nothing in the assembly is building it
> > right now. To update it, we need to
> >
> > * Copy the "backport" folder that is under SVN.
> > * If needed, update the translator JARs and translate batch file
> > * If needed, update the translate batch file as to the Struts version
> > * run the translate batch file
> >
> > Then, to mop up, we need to create new or updated archives for
> >
> > * struts-2.0.0-all.zip
> > * struts-2.0.0-docs.zip
> > * struts-2.0.0-j4.zip
> >
> > Obviously, we'd prefer that the entire build process was automatic, as
> > it has been before. But this is how things stand right now.

HTH, Ted.
* http://www.husted.com/struts/

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 9/18/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> The code is looking good, so thanks to everyone who is helping
> push this out.

The code does look good, in fact, every part of the distribution looks
great. The last mile of the assembling the distribution is grisy,
because we are doing some odd things, but the end product is
outstanding. We have WARs, and JARs, and Docs, J4s, and archetypes to
boot. Pier's autoexport plugin for Confluence is working well for us.
I especially like the uplinks for editing the live pages..

>From the traffic on the user list, it's obvious that people have been
using the August snapshot. I expect even more brave souls will be
using the September update. And, in a few days time, we're liable to
have an actual 2.0.0 alpha that people will be able to fetch via
Maven.

In the meantime, there still plenty fun stuff left to do on the 2.0.1 list!

I don't know about anyone else, but the more I use Struts 2, the more
I like it. I'm working on the Migration tutorial for ApacheCon now,
and putting the S1 and S2 stuff side-by-side is a real eye-opener.
Film at 11 :)

-Ted.

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
I started to roll 2.0.0 friday night, but found some straggler snippet
references that should be fixed. I think I've found all of these now,
but I'm out of time for today. I'll try again tomorrow.

A couple pointed to tag JavaDocs. I'm guessing we need to checkin new
tag Javadocs to /docs/tags as the tags are created and double-check
before a release. I'll see to that update too.

Here' s one snippet set I didn't fix, only because I'm not sure what
the snippet reference should be now.

* http://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/WW-1434

-Ted.

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Not in the least.

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Sunday was hijacked by family activities (first things first!), but in
the meantime, I've finally patched together an updated tutorial.

* http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Bootstrap

Taking Don's queue, I left out extending the framework, since topics
like those are very well covered in the reference section. My thought
is that the main purpose of the tutorial should be to pull people into
the rest of the documentation. I also reviewed the prior tutorials,
and when there was material in the old tutorials not covered by the
reference Guides or Cookbook, I moved it over.

Between the two site moves and two rounds of renaming, there are still
some small glitches in the documentation, but it's the sort of thing
that we can fix as we find it. With the completed tutorial, the
documentation, to me, looks feature-complete.

If no one is in the middle of anything, I'll try to take another pass
at a Struts 2.0.0 tag tomorrow night, and then target 2.0.1 for 18 Sep
(a Monday).

-Ted

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
+1

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 8/31/06, Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know my vote doesn't count, but it'd be pretty cool to get the
> customized-template-dojo issues resolved as part of this release.
> That way there can be a non-Apache sample app that works with Struts
> 2.0.0. ;-)
>
> https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/WW-1425
>
> Matt

Hey, resolve that issue and I'll gladly roll 2.0.1 that very day. :)

-Ted.

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
+1  Roll 'em!

Don

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Eric Molitor <em...@molitor.org>.
For Xdoclet just make sure you are using release 1.2.3 and download
the 1.5-snapshot050611 version of xjavadoc. (All are on the files
section of their SF.net page)

Cheers,
   Eric

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
If you build XDoclet from CVS, Java 5 is supported.  I use an XDoclet
snapshot in AppFuse that supports Java 5.

Matt

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Actually, re-reading WW-1392

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
> If we can do it with Ant, we should be able to do it as part of the
> Maven build, using maven-antrun-plugin.  So if someone can come up
> with that simple Ant build file, I'll try to integrate it in the Maven
> build.  Shouldn't we be able to find it (or at least something to
> start with) in the old WW Ant build files?

:) They're not exactly old, since WebWork 2.2.3 just came out this
week, and since the TLD was updated, the Ivy/Ant build seems to
working just fine.

* https://xwork.dev.java.net/source/browse/webwork/

-Ted.

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
OK, I've parred down the TODO list for 2.0.0

* https://issues.apache.org/struts/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa

The biggest stumbling block is the taglib documentation. I
experimented with the maven-taglib plugin, but I just don't think it
is going to work for us (or at least me).

The plugin would encourage us to put everything back in the TLD, which
would make it huge, and JSP 2.0 seems to be phasing out TLDs anyway.

We had been using XDoclet to create the TLD. For a tag reference, we
put the descriptions and examples in the Java source and then used the
snippet macro to pull those into Confluence.

* http://cwiki.apache.org/WW/if.html

The simplest thing might be to setup a very simple Ant build file that
just called XDoclet to create the TLD. Then everything else falls into
place. If we need to call it as a separate process for now, then so be
it. I expect that eventually XDoclet will catch up to Maven 2, and we
can dump the separate TLD build.

If anyone who has worked with XDoclet and Ant would like to help out,
that would be great, since I would be starting from ground zero with
XDoclet.

Right now, I'm going to hack the snippet macro one-more-time so that
it transforms the struts.action2. packages to struts2 packages, so
that we don't have to edit those snippet pages again. Then, I'll make
a final pass on the documentation, before taking a whack at an Ant
build for the S2 TLD. (Again, volunteer sought for this part.)

By Monday, I'd like to tag the S2 head for 2.0.0 and call it a
test-build. Hopefully, for 2.0.1, the rest of the new API will be
done, and we will be ready to take it to alpha or beta, at least.

-Ted.

Re: Struts 2.0.0 - STATUS

Posted by Bob Lee <cr...@crazybob.org>.
On 8/20/06, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hopefully, for 2.0.1, we can have an implementation of the new API, so
> that we can start phasing that in as the default API for 2.1.

The new API is actually about 90% implemented and checked in, though it
still needs to be hooked in.

Bob