Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Rutledge, Aaron" <AR...@5prime.com> on 2002/08/12 19:32:03 UTC

Tomcat and SOCKS proxy server

I am trying to use Tomcat behind a SOCKS firewall.  I have a servlet
that is trying to access information outside the application context and
I am getting the following exceptions....

java.net.NoRouteToHostException: No route to host: connect
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:295)
        at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:161)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:148)
        at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:139)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:366)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:582)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:292)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:253)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:321)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:306)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:301)
...and so on

I found on a really old post that I need to set TOMCAT_OPTS =
-DsocksProxyHost=<my proxy's ip> -DsocksProxyPort=1080
I have set an environmental variable (I am using W2K), but I am still
having problems.  Is there something more I need to do?  I can't find
any documentation on this.  Any help GREATLY appreciated!
Best regards, Aaron

Re: tomcat4.0.4 and Servlet Specification 2.3 and JSp1.2

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Ashish Kulkarni wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:25:27 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Ashish Kulkarni <ku...@yahoo.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: tomcat4.0.4 and Servlet Specification 2.3 and JSp1.2
>
> Does tomcat4.0.4 follow servlet specifications 2.3 and
> jsp 1.2

Yes.

> if yes then can some one explain the following
> as per these specification
>  <jsp:include page="common.jsp" flush="true" />
>  <% if (someCondition) { %>
>    <jsp:forward page="another.jsp" />
>  <% } %>
>
>  the above code will give error, but if u make the
>  flush value="false", it must work, and not give
>  error.???
>  but when i tried it in jsp it gives my illleagal
>  state
>  error, saying cannot forward after sumbitting
>  response.
>  Ashish

As the servlet spec will tell you, it is not legal to do a
RequestDispatcher.forward() -- which is what <jsp:forward> does under the
covers -- after the response has been committed.  Using flush="true" on
your include causes the response to be committed.

Craig

tomcat4.0.4 and Servlet Specification 2.3 and JSp1.2

Posted by Ashish Kulkarni <ku...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,
Is tomcat4.0.4 using servlet specification 2.3 and JSP
specification1.2??
Because as per these specification