Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Mark Liu <ma...@apache.org> on 2019/10/01 16:18:55 UTC

[VOTE] Release 2.16.0, release candidate #1

Hi everyone,

Please review and vote on the release candidate #1 for the version 2.16.0,
as follows:
[ ] +1, Approve the release
[ ] -1, Do not approve the release (please provide specific comments)

The complete staging area is available for your review, which includes:
* JIRA release notes [1],
* the official Apache source release to be deployed to dist.apache.org [2],
which is signed with the key with fingerprint
C110B1C82074883A4241D977599D6305FF3ABB32 [3],
* all artifacts to be deployed to the Maven Central Repository [4],
* source code tag ""v2.16.0-RC1" [5],
* website pull request listing the release [6], publishing the API
reference manual [7], and the blog post [8].
* Python artifacts are deployed along with the source release to the
dist.apache.org [2].
* Validation sheet with a tab for 2.16.0 release to help with validation
[9].
* Docker images published to Docker Hub [10].

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours. It is adopted by majority
approval, with at least 3 PMC affirmative votes.

Thanks,
Mark Liu, Release Manager

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12319527&version=12345494
[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/beam/2.16.0/
[3] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/beam/KEYS
[4] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachebeam-1085/
[5] https://github.com/apache/beam/tree/v2.16.0-RC1
[7] https://github.com/apache/beam-site/pull/593
[9]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qk-N5vjXvbcEk68GjbkSZTR8AGqyNUM-oLFo_ZXBpJw/edit#gid=890914284
[10] https://hub.docker.com/u/apachebeam

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.16.0, release candidate #1

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

Quickly tested on couple of examples.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.16.0, release candidate #1

Posted by Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com>.
+1.

Checked Python Batch and Streaming quickstarts, Batch Mobile Gaming
examples using Dataflow runner on Python 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 using linux wheels.
Also checked Batch and streaming quickstarts for Direct runner on Python
3.5.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.
OK, this appears to have been a weird config issue on my system
(though the error certainly could have been better). As BEAM-8303 has
a workaround and all else is looking good, I don't think that's worth
another RC.

+1 (binding) to this release.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
Don't worry about the template. It is not required. Your first email
contained enough information and the archives support the details. Your
second one contained even more, and that is certainly nice :-)

However, please do edit the subject when a vote is done, to "[RESULT]
[VOTE] <vote subject>". This makes it easy to find exactly the email with
the result.

Kenn

Posted by Mark Liu <ma...@google.com>.

Posted by Mark Liu <ma...@google.com>.

Posted by Robin Qiu <ro...@google.com>.
+1

Posted by Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com>.
I also ran portable wordcount on Spark and Flink runners using
docker container images that we are releasing with 2.16.0. I was using the
SDK code from RC1 tag in github, and pulled the container image from Docker
repo as follows:

git checkout tags/v2.16.0-RC1

./gradlew :runners:spark:job-server:runShadow   or ./gradlew
:runners:flink:1.5:job-server:runShadow

In a separate terminal:

docker pull apachebeam/python3.5_sdk:2.16.0_rc1
docker tag apachebeam/python3.5_sdk:2.16.0_rc1
apachebeam/python3.5_sdk:2.16.0

./gradlew :sdks:python:test-suites:portable:py35:portableWordCountBatch
 -PjobEndpoint=localhost:8099 -PenvirionmentType=DOCKER

As soon as that is done:
docker ps -a  | grep apachebeam
Note the container ID of a running container. It stays around only for a
minute or so, and gets garbage-collected...
docker exec 866fb8932207 /bin/bash -c 'cat /tmp/py-wordcount*'

<wordcount output is printed>

Still voting +1.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Kyle Weaver <kc...@google.com>.
@Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com> You can use the
`--retain_docker_containers` pipeline option to avoid garbage collection.

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pablo Estrada <pa...@google.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Mark Liu <ma...@google.com>.