Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Basavaraju P. Banakar [SLK-India]" <ba...@slk-soft.com> on 2003/12/01 13:19:24 UTC

endorsed directory

Hey all,

I found from the tomcat users list that xalan.jar has to be placed in the
"..\common\endorsed" folder.

but i could'nt find reason behind that...

could someone help in understanding this please..

This might not be the right place to ask this question but might be releated
with the above reason...
Why do we need to create "endorsed" directory?

Thanks,
Basu.

Re: endorsed directory

Posted by "Basavaraju P. Banakar [SLK-India]" <ba...@slk-soft.com>.
Thank Jean...

Basu.

Re: endorsed directory

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.
See

Nt Service and Sax Parser

Posted by "Altug B. Altintas" <al...@riskturk.com>.
Hi,

I have got very strange problem.  Here is the problem

If i write a bat file to start Tomcat like this

************************************
set TOMCAT_HOME=C:\tomcat
set JAVA_HOME=C:\j2sdk1.4.1
set RTDIR=c:\rt
set PATH=%RTDIR%\bin;c:\tomcat\;c:\tomcat\bin;.
set CATALINA_OPTS="-Xmx1024m"
set CATALINA_HOME=C:\tomcat
set CATALINA_BASE=C:\tomcat
set CLASSPATH=C:\tomcat;.
cd %RTDIR%

call %TOMCAT_HOME%\bin\shutdown.bat
call %TOMCAT_HOME%\bin\startup.bat
************************************

Tomcat starts and my application works well. In my application i used SAX
parser APIs so i put "crimson.jar" and "jaxp.jar" to
TOMCAT_HOME\common\endorsed

Anyway this is not problem, the problem is when i want to make  Tomcat NT
service, my JSP pages which are uses  SAX Parser API doesn't work.

Here is the comments which i tried to make NT Service

set TOMCAT_HOME=C:\tomcat
set JAVA_HOME=C:\j2sdk1.4.1
set RTDIR=c:\rt
set PATH=%RTDIR%\bin;C:\tomcat;C:\tomcat;.
set CATALINA_OPTS="-Xmx1024m"
set CATALINA_HOME=C:\tomcat
set CATALINA_BASE=C:\tomcat
set CLASSPATH=C:\tomcat;.

"%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat.exe"  -install tomcat
"%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll" -Djava.class.path="%CATALINA_HOME%\comm
on\lib;%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar" -Dcatali
na.home="%CATALINA_HOME%" -djava.home="%JAVA_HOME%\jre"
%CATALINA_OPTS% -Dfile.encoding="ISO-8859-9" -Xrs -start
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService -params start -config
"%CATALINA_HOME%\conf\server.xml" -stop
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService -params stop -out
"%CATALINA_HOME%\logs\stdout.log" -err
"%CATALINA_HOME%\logs\stderr.log" -current "c:\rt" -path  "c:\rt"

My code is same, "crimson.jar" and "jaxp.jar" files are same, the difference
is between normal start and NT start.  Any idea ??

Regards

RE: endorsed directory

Posted by Philip Busby <ph...@philihp.com>.
Hi Basu,

I'm new to tomcat, and over the last weekend I've been poking and prodding
at Tomcat (with many problems, although none there wasn't a manual for).

As far as I can reason, xalan.jar is placed in the "endorsed" folder and not
the "lib" folder because it is "endorsed" by Tomcat... But they (we) didn't
write it. I figure there may be a more recent copy of the library elsewhere,
and if this is the case, you could put all of your "lib" directories before
your "endorsed" directories in your path, so the system will use the
first-hand libraries first.

Please correct me if any of this is wrong, playing with tomcat right now
feels like I'm fumbling with a bra clasp.

philihp