Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by James Ward <ja...@ectropic.com> on 2003/05/30 16:04:42 UTC

Dependency Not Found - Possible Solution

Hello Maven Friends.

I have been thinking about the problem of when a dependency can't be
found in the local or remote repo.  Why can't we just make it so it asks
the user where it is on the file system?  Then it copies it in.  For a
newbie using Maven I don't like the idea of them having to copy it in,
with the right structure themselves.  So maybe it could work like this:

Attempting to download mail.jar form ibiblio.org

mail.jar could not be found, if you would like to load it from your
local files system, enter it's path (Or hit enter to continue)
mail.jar location > (user enters file location here)

Maven check it's there and then copies it into the local repo.

Just an idea.  Let me know what you all think.

-James

RE: Dependency Not Found - Possible Solution

Posted by Michal Maczka <mm...@interia.pl>.
There are other types of dependencies, not only jars, so manifest is
generally
not so helpful.

I think that once Maven will be supported by major IDEs (I hope one day it
will)
there will be various wizards for helping creating project XML file.

XML is for computers not for humans ;)

Michal

Posted by James Ward <ja...@ectropic.com>.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@topicus.nl>.