Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com> on 2002/05/06 04:28:54 UTC

Re: DVSL : french characters (éàçèêë) support ?

On 5/5/02 10:33 PM, "Stéphane MOR" <st...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using Maven to build my projects, and the site is generated using DVSL.
> Could anyone please tell me how to have french characters supported ?
> Actually they appear as é, etc.

I expect that's the encoding not being set for input or output.  Is is the
.dvsl that contains the characters in question, or the XML?

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.

Very Grateful

Posted by Peter Brown <pe...@froggy.com.au>.
I'm a lurker on the list.

I'm very grateful for the normal cordiality on the list and the humour and
good time and info shared  .

Recent events only confirm that Geir and other regulars have made Velocity
an excellent product.

Peter

Funky A's in output??

Posted by Pete Kazmier <pe...@kazmier.com>.
On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 11:13:52PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Using the examples/simple in the distro, I carefully replaced the
> example1.xml with the xml below (carefully to keep the transfer from
> screwing up the charset) and then used two different .dvsl files :

I apologize if this is a duplicate message; however, I haven't seen the
message on the list yet, and I'm not sure if I actually sent it the
first time.

In any case, could someone please verify that these funky A's show up
for them as well.  Here is a very simple test:

   - Edit the example in the DVSL distribution examples/simple/xdocs
     directory such that example1.xml contains the following:

        <?xml version="1.0"?>

        <document>
          <section name="foo">
               Hello from &#145;section&#146; foo
          </section>
          <section name="bar">
               Hello from section bar
          </section>
        </document>

     The only difference between the above file and the one in the
     distribution is the use of "&#145;" and "&#146;" which are single
     left and single right quotes respectively.

   - Then build the example and look at the resulting HTML document that
     has been generated.  Do you see funky A's where the single quotes
     should be?  Or is it just me?

What I'm unclear about is why this works fine with Anakia, but not DVSL.
Both use Velocity so I'm hesistant to modify any Velocity specific
settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Pete

Re: Re: Hourrah !!!! DVSL : french characters ( éàçèêë) are supported !

Posted by Stéphane MOR <st...@yahoo.fr>.

>You can add Swedish (åäöÅÄÖ) to the ISO-8859-1 list.
>
>Regards,

That's conforting !
It sounds like a lot of european languages use ISO-8859-1 ...

Posted by David Kinnvall <da...@alertir.com>.

Posted by Stéphane MOR <st...@yahoo.fr>.

Posted by Christoph Reck <Ch...@dlr.de>.
Stéphane MOR wrote:

> >You can add Swedish (åäöÅÄÖ) to the ISO-8859-1 list.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> That's conforting !
> It sounds like a lot of european languages use ISO-8859-1 ...
>

> >David

See the ISO 8859-1 (ISO Latin 1) character set at:
    http://www.ep.cs.nott.ac.uk/misc/isolatin1.html

I read somewhere about the update to ISO8859-15, which now
includes the EURO symbol. see also:
   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/euro/article.html
   http://www.kostis.net/charsets/iso8859.15.htm (and others)

--
:) Christoph Reck

Re: Hourrah !!!! DVSL : french characters ( éàçèêë) are supported !

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 5/6/02 3:45 PM, "Stéphane MOR" <st...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Yipee Yipee Yipee !!!!
>
> I hope someone told me "Read The Fucking Manual" before !
>
> In fact I did a "grep -r encoding *" - still better than actually
> reading  ;-)  -
> in the dir where I checked out Velocity-DVSL from CVS, and saw an output
> like that :
>
> "docs/ant_task_reference.html:       outputencoding"
>
> So I read the page, and all was described there.
>
> I tried it, and Abracadabra, it worked !!!
>
> Thanks all for trying and help me, this was really frustrating me.
> Stéphane
>
> PS : maybe the jakarta velocity site would need a little update , huh?  ;-)

Here's what I don't understand.

1) I thought I was reading it on the site last night. Updated.

2) On my box, I didn't need to specify outputencoding, as the default is
ISO-8859-1

I don't understand how this fixed it, but I am happy it works.  I won't be
sending you a tarball :)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 5/6/02 3:09 PM, "Stéphane MOR" <st...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

>> It worked for me last night.  I took your source and with the simple dvsl
>> templates, xformed into something with the right chars.
>>
>> Can you at least make the simple example work?
>>
> Sadly, no !  :-(
>
> I answered your post asking in what sense you were "careful when
> transferring".
> I tried all that I could without any success (copy-paste, rewrite, save
> as, ...)
>
> Even only adding a simple "é" in example1.xml failed.
>
> This is quite disappointing, because I don't know how you actually
> managed to
> do it !

I copied from your mail in my Entourage client into my IDEA editor and saved
the file.

That's it.

I'll send you a tarball...

Posted by Stéphane MOR <st...@yahoo.fr>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.

Re: Re: DVSL : french characters (éàçèêë) support?

Posted by Stéphane MOR <st...@yahoo.fr>.
Terry Steichen wrote:

>Stephane,
>
>Though I wasn't working with DVSL, I had a similar problem.  Here's an
>excerpt from my recent message:
>
>>Thanks very much for your help.  The problem appears to have been fixed by
>>including, as you suggested, the following in my velocity properties file:
>>
>>input.encoding=UTF-8
>>output.encoding=UTF-8
>>

>Maybe it will help you too.

Sorry, it didn't do it ! (I included it as nested <velconfig
name="input.encoding" value="UTF-8"/>)

Wrong guess ! ;-)

I'll go through all the source code if I need to, but I WILL find a way
to have my
mother tongue supported by DVSL !!! (Otherwise I won't be able to submit my
fancy, shiny translation of the Turbine docs, which I spent quite a lot
of time on ! ;-)  )

I don't know exactly what has changed from  Anakia to DVSL ... Maybe
someone could
put some light on it, so that I can know where to look at ?

Unicode characters ? Encoding ? Aliens ?

Thanks !
Stéphane

Re: DVSL : french characters (éàçèêë) support?

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
Stephane,

Though I wasn't working with DVSL, I had a similar problem.  Here's an
excerpt from my recent message:

> Thanks very much for your help.  The problem appears to have been fixed by
> including, as you suggested, the following in my velocity properties file:
>
> input.encoding=UTF-8
> output.encoding=UTF-8

Maybe it will help you too.

Regards,

Terry

Posted by Stéphane MOR <st...@yahoo.fr>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 5/5/02 10:56 PM, "Stéphane MOR" <st...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> >>
>> Can you send me the XML?
>>
> Here you are ! (I send the site.dvsl too, you may find something here -
> except the <!DOCTYLE>
> I don't know what could cause that )

Jeeze - the site.dvsl is nice. Heh.

[...]

I guess the next step is to try with the site.dvsl below, but I am out of
gas for the night, so will pick it up tomorrow if you don't solve it first.

geir

Posted by Stéphane MOR <st...@yahoo.fr>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.

Posted by Stéphane MOR <st...@yahoo.fr>.