Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/07 21:29:29 UTC

[DISCUSS] Artemis 2.0.0 target features

*** Re-sending w/ [DISCUSS] subject tag

Kicking off a discussion on what folks would like to see in 2.0.0
release for Artemis. My thought is that we should target ActiveMQ 5.x
feature parity in an effort to solidify Artemis in the product sense. I
will detail out specifics from my previous note on 5.x-Artemis feature
gaps.

Thoughts?

Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis 2.0.0 target features

Posted by Martyn Taylor <mt...@redhat.com>.
I think trying to address everything on your list in a single release is
probably a little ambitious.  However, a major goal for Artemis is to try
to fill many of those feature gaps as possible (or at least offer similar
features that address the same use cases).  It'd be great if your notes
were captured in JIRA.  We can start adding them incrementally and
releasing often.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martyn Taylor <mt...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Martyn Taylor <mt...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 4:35 PM, Christian Schneider <
> chris@die-schneider.net> wrote:
>
>> I was not implying that the feature parity with ActiveMQ is a marketing
>> goal. I just wanted to show a case where typically in companies marketing
>> pushes for a major release based on a feature set as they think they can
>> sell it better. As an open source project ActiveMQ/Artemis has the luxury
>> to not being pushed by marketing.
>>
>> I currently do not see any bigger breaking API changes
>
> This thread has some more info: http://activemq-dev.markmail.
> org/search/?q=possible%202.0.0#query:possible%202.0.0+page:
> 1+mid:bt5v5z3l7n575vwc+state:results

Copy and paste fail...

The Nabble archieve is here:

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Artemis-addressing-improvements-JMS-component-removal-and-potential-2-0-0-tt4719262.html

but I am not so much into the Artemis internals. Until now I was only

Posted by Martyn Taylor <mt...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
> I was not implying that the feature parity with ActiveMQ is a
> marketing goal. I just wanted to show a case where typically in
> companies marketing pushes for a major release based on a feature set
> as they think they can sell it better. As an open source project
> ActiveMQ/Artemis has the luxury to not being pushed by marketing.
+1

> I currently do not see any bigger breaking API changes but I am not so
> much into the Artemis internals. Until now I was only involved in the
> OSGi support.
>
> I also think it is very good to talk about the upcoming or planned
> features. I would make the list rather small though as in my
> experience the actual features going into the code often differ from
> the plannings as quite many people are involved at apache projects and
> the amount of work they put in often can not be predicted well. So I
> would only look one or two minor versions ahead most of the time.
Yeah, agreed. I think my intention on feature parity is to draw some
focus to features that would be API breaking in an effort to have 2.0 be
a good on-ramp for the general non-early adopter user (things like
recently completed Virtual Topics and the addressing changes) as a
reasonable time frame would permit.

I put together a big list and I'll filter through it and create JIRAs so
a more directed conversation can continue.

Thanks,
-Matt

Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis 2.0.0 target features

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis 2.0.0 target features

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
Gotcha.. that sounds good. Thanks.

Posted by Andy Taylor <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
Christian-

Posted by Martyn Taylor <mt...@redhat.com>.
I agree a major bump should only be required when breakages appear in APIs
or incompatability of existing client applications.  That doesn't mean we
can't have a discussion about what features people would like in upcoming
releases.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 7:33 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>
wrote:

> Agree with Christian. It's a bit unfortunate.

What is unfortunate?

The purpose of proposing 2.0.0,as previously discussed on other threads, is
not for the introduction of new features, it's to address breakages in APIs
as a result of core model refactoring.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Agree with Christian. It's a bit unfortunate.

Regards
JB\u2063\u200b

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.