Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/07 15:46:29 UTC

Refactored Examples

I tried sending an email to the list yesterday but it kept getting
bounced because of attachment issues.  I'm including the original
email below (without any attachments.)  Matthias is going to try
running the examples to verify that they are ok.  If they look good he
is going to commit.  If anyone feels they need to look at them first,
please come forward...

sean

------------------------

OK. I refactored the examples application as we discussed.  Basically
I changed the home.jsp to be a simple list of the applications.  Each
of the examples pages was stripped of its panel and navigation stuff
that was needed under the old format.  I added a simple [HOME] link to
the bottom of each example page.

No other changes were made.  In some cases I left the outer
<h:panelGroup id="body"> if I couldn't decide whether or not it woul
affect the page.  Feel free to make additional simplifications.  If we
can make so things are not inside panelGroups that makes the examples
easier to read because no f:verbatim is needed.

Eventually I will explore the idea of providing the links so you can
see the true JSP source for each example.  That would be nice to have
on the irian.at site.  People could quickly see the examples in action
and see the source associated with them.

Someone should provide a simple new menu example now that the examples
have all been removed from the menu format.

I generated a patch file, but with this many changes, I think its best
to just provide the new jsp files.  I tried to include them as an
attachment but the mailing list is rejecting .zip attachments.  Let me
know if the patch doesn't work or if you don't want to bother with the
patches (Martin?) and just want the zip.  I can send it to you
directly.

Let me know what you think.

sean

ps. We may want to consider removing the following files:

contact.jsp
copyright.jsp
features.jsp
options.jsp

Re: Refactored Examples

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Well I think we are all in agreement on the simple examples pages.  I
could go either way on the test pages.  Perhaps test pages and HTTP
unit is also an option?

sean

Re: Refactored Examples

Posted by Heath Borders <he...@gmail.com>.

--
-Heath Borders-Wing
hborders@mail.win.org

Re: Refactored Examples

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Refactored Examples

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> I did apply your patch on my local box.
> The examples are much smaller(simpler?)

That was the idea.

> But JSCookMenu is now missing, if I see all... ;)

I think I mentioned that in my intial email.  I'm not too familiar
with that one so if you or someone else could add that in that would
be great.

> Ok, for others... I made a upload for an example WAR
>
> go for
> http://www.apache.org/~matzew/myfaces-sean.war
>
> and look.
>
> I liked the *old* example web app... since it was
> more a web app :-)

Yes but it makes it harder to understand each individual component.
Are you just making a comment or are you -1 on this?

> But the new version is perhaps more easier for starters?

I think so.  Actually its easier for developers (me) too ;-)  When I
was working on the tree example I had to maintain a separate example
for myself and then remember to copy everything over to the new
example.  I think the examples should be as simple as possible so the
user can focus on the minimum requirements for the component in
question.

Is everyone still in agreement on this?

> -Matthias

sean